1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED

Discussion in 'Independent' started by grasshopper2000, Feb 27, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Do OFSTED always come out between the dates they say they will and can a parent/ member of the public ask them to come in and will they come any earlier?

2. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I should have said, the school got requires improvement last time, but hoping for good this time.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ofsted don't generally give dates as such and no, someone can't just ring up and ask Ofsted to pop in.
    From your other posts, you are an NQT, please don't be worrying about Ofsted.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ofsted don't give notice of inspections so the issue doesn't arise. Normal procedure is the school gets a phone call the afternoon before the inspection telling the head the inspection team will be there at 8.00am the next morning. If they say they are coming tomorrow they come tomorrow (unless your school burns down overnight or something similar....:) ).

Or do you have in mind the 'window' for reinspection? Ofsted publish how often they reinspect schools in various categories so a school will know roughly if it is likely to be inspected, eg, this year or next year. Those inspection 'windows' are not set in stone and Ofsted don't always come within them. They might come earlier if their 'risk assessments' suggest things aren't going well. Or later if the school's data looks OK. How Ofsted decide to when to reinspect is all explained in Part 1 of the Ofsted Inspection Handbook.

Parents cannot ask Ofsted to come in and inspect a school. If parents have serious concerns about a school they can report those concerns to Ofsted. Ofsted might bring an inspection date forward but that would be very unusual. There would have to be evidence of something seriously wrong. Normally Ofsted would just note the parent's concernes to be looked at, if still relevant, at the next scheduled inspection.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Incidentally, most independent schools are not inspected by OFSTED, but by the Independent Schools Inspectorate.

6. May2

May2 Established commenter

I thought if you were put in requires improvement they come back after a certain stipulated time (can't remember how long) but I thought if school thought they had improved enough and desperate to get back to good then the Head could call them back sooner. I'm pretty sure that's what happened 5 years ago anyway. It may have all changed again now. Not much stands still in education.