1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by chocolateworshipper, Feb 28, 2012.

1. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Any of you had Ofsted in under the new framework? We are expecting them this year, and just wondering what they ask TAs / what they are looking for from us etc.

2. We had an inspection a couple of weeks ago. The inspector asked me (as TA in reception) what I was doing with my small phonics group (he arrived just as we were winding up in the library just outside our classroom).
    The next day he came at the same time and asked when we were going outside (we were on our way after phonics) so he saw me grab my coat and head outside with those who chose to come out to play (which is usually most of the class of 27!)
    He stood outside (in his thin suit) for about 5 minutes and asked what I was doing (I started a little group on Write Dance) - and he then asked what a group of children were doing at the other side of our play area. I suggested he go and ask them which he did.
    He then asked about the mess (there was sand placed in little piles on each of a long line of crates - the boys were building a tank and the sand was "cement"). I explained that the children all helped tidy away after each session. He was apparently from a secondary background and seemed surprised at our organised chaos! We got a "good" in the inspection by the way.

3. chocolateworshipper

Thanks very much for sharing woolyma - and congratulations on the "good" x

4. Time to breath easy, it's all over. It went very well, but we won't have our grading for about 3 weeks. I was in 2 lessons which were observed both went very well. Their focus is now firmly on the children and their learning during the lessons, rather than what the teacher and myself were doing. I performed my usual role which was engaging with the children who need focusing during up front teaching and then supporting targetted pupils during the activities. The use of TAs throughout school was described as good by the lead inspector. I also had a meeting with one inspector, along with some other support staff and NQTs. We were questioned about CPD. They were looking to see that the school were properly equipping us to do our role. We were also asked about child protection, to name our child protection officers and how to report a cause for concern. Their main focus was on high ability learners and EAL, but I suppose that something they had identified as a possible weakness at our school. The team of inspectors were actually very friendly and approachable and I have to say that despite the fear factor, it has been a really positive experience.

5. chocolateworshipper

Thanks very much Yogs - I really appreciate you taking the time to come back and let us know how it went - it is really useful xx

6. The report arrived today and we got OUTSTANDING in every category, so as you can imagine we are all thrilled!

7. chocolateworshipper

Goodness me! That means any of us that don't get "Outstanding" can't blame the new framework! Lol. Seriously - congratulations. Must be wonderful to know that your hard work has paid off x