1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted...

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by angieHT, Oct 23, 2011.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Indeed. HMIs were respected and their judgements and advice was valued by teachers in a way that Ofsted's pronouncements are not.

2. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Not by you maybe. Funny though that when an organisation gets a good inspection it features in every staff ad, newspaper article and there's often a banner outside letting the world know. They seem to be valued then.

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

I absolutely know what I mean. Where exactly am I supposed to have made these 'original statements', that 'standards in schools are poor'.

4. Ofsted, unlike HMI, has become the tail that wags the dog. Schools work to satisfy Ofsted as if a Good or Adequate judgment were some Gold Standard of education. Heads will whip their staff into shape in order that their work satisfies the criteria set down by Ofsted at all costs. All that we teachers do has to be seen in the context of 'what would Ofsted make of that?' Inspectors will give advice as to how to get through an Ofsted visit (because they know it is a matter of getting through it). Meetings and staff development sessions centre around 'an Ofsted inspection which might be next week'. This has resulted in a skewed idea of what school and education is for. Schooling and education is to satisfy Ofsted criteria. Parents will consult previous Ofsted inspection reports, as will potential new staff, and a view of the school is then created based on Ofsted - an organisation which is evidently flawed and who might have spent two days in a school to produce that public impression of a school which lasts for another two or three years.

5. Haven't we cleared this up in a previous post? HMI are people who work for Ofsted, so they are one and the same thing. I met one of HMI just last week and her badge definitely had Ofsted written on it.
    It probably isn't a perfect system but it's fair enough I would say. Where I live there are a couple of inadequate schools that are most definitely inadequate. There are quite a few satisfactory and good schools which are probably about right, except one which should, according to a number of staff, be inadequate. Finally there are 4 outstanding schools which in 2 cases shouldn't be because they've slipped badly since they were inspected. One hasn't been inspected since 2007 and is definitely coasting and there's a sense of complacency that has set in. In my humble opinion, it is in relation to the outstanding schools that the system does not work as well. I agree that there should be a variable tariff depending on the last inspection judgement, but to leave outstanding schools alone can't be right.

6. I meant unlike the HMI before Ofsted came along.

Your reply also illustrates beautifully my point that the only judgment can be Ofsted. You have used Ofsted as the only criterion by which to judge a school. That's exactly what I am arguing against!

7. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

HMI didnt suddenly disappear to be replaced by two headed ogres. They are the same people, with a slightly different badge.
    What criteria would you like schools to be judged by?

8. If only it were that simple! The DfE also make judgements and they sometimes conflict with the judgements Ofsted make. At the moment, there are 200 or so primaries that are facing forced academy conversion. Who is doing this? The DfE, based on floor standards. Some of these schools have been graded 'good' in their last Ofsted. Many are graded satisfactory.

9. I totally agree with El preseitente.
    been judged outstanding and it was coz we pulled it out of the bag. heads an inspector himself so knows how to play the game. the paper work was top notch and the act the staff put on was impressive.
    Its a joke. someone should come and see it now...they would be SHOCKED.

10. drek

drek Star commenter

Interesting debate going on ....now 2013...have to say ofsted is a money spinner for contract staff and corruption seems not only normal but encouraged. Wonder if the posters still feel the way they did last year.

11. debdon

debdon New commenter

*** also manage academies, free schools and a group of private schools. Is it right that they should also inspect LEA schools?

12. debdon

debdon New commenter

Funny how **** above was typed as c f b t and appeared as above?!

13. drek

drek Star commenter

propaganda paid for by the taxpayers...a system that can be traced back through the rise and fall of ancient empires. Even saddam had fans back in his heyday. So not an indicator of improving made up standards and far removed from the rigours of actual teaching. It is however homage to the immense power of ofsted for making money for all their business partners through all the new school management deals going on. The full history of which will remain confidential for years to come.

Ofsted demanding evidence of rewarding outstanding staff is similar to parents who claim their children ran straight from the womb. Not for them the stages of crawling and walking because ofsted believes the interpretations of doctrate research teams carried out by people who do not have children! A survey showed this to be the case. It must be true. A well rewarded scam if ever there was one. bully for ofsted and the dfe.not so good for children and staff whose face don't fit. There is no australia to ship them off to. Wonder whose concern they will become because ofsted do not want to hear evidence of their existence.