1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted...

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by angieHT, Oct 23, 2011.

1. I know that there are many teachers who don't get observed after doing much preparation who feel as bad as those who were observed.
    You are correct that observations should be private affairs, yet the emotional reactions to being observed are also understandable. What is unfortunate is the view that one lesson observation, perhaps only lasting 30 minutes, can in any way sum up a person's whole teaching career. It can't and it doesn't. It is merely a snapshot. It is also best kept private because it simply contributes to a view on 'the teaching'. It helps inspectors say that out of X lessons observed, Y were outstanding, Z were good etc.
    If you get graded as good or above, that is worth feeling good about. If your grade is lower, then make sure you understand why and if you know that you are generally a good teacher, forget it and move on.

2. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

What a complete tw.tt you are. Hold the presses El Presidente speaks!

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Really -what would you rather have? Serving practitioners who understand the sector and its pressures- or as is constantly complained of, people who are out of touch.

Ofsted require 50% of inspectors are serving practitioners - is this not a good idea? any more or less is unworkable.

Ive never met an inspector who hasn't once been a teacher- any many still are. Exactly when in the process of
    becoming an inspector did they grow two heads, lose touch with reality, dump all their interpersonal skills etc.

Payment is correct although that is not the true figure. Many do not get that fee, some take inspection time as leave,
    or their Governors require it to be paid to the school.

Got the paper this morning - didn't see anything yet

4. Zinzan - are you an Inspector? Learn to read. Re-read what I wrote.

5. Zinzan, what is a tw.tt?

6. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Apologies. Snakes, traitors, cheats.etc etc Which bit have I misread? Please clarify

7. Could you clarify what you mean when you write 'tw.tt'?

8. I can clarify my expressions, if you can clarify what you mean by 'tw.tt'.

9. As an FE college lecturer and Inspector, you are the one who has a lot to say for himself. You are the one who inspects and lectures, and yet you are prepared to use the thinly-disguised term 'tw.tt' on a public forum. It would seem that I was right then! [​IMG]

10. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

I hope that in whatever you do, you make yourself a lot clearer than you do here...... "himself'? Hmm

11. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Had enough - good talking to you

12. You as inspector are doing our schools and children a disservice. You ignoring education and making schools concentrate on SEF, data, learning objectives and targets. This encourages a superficial education where results are paramount. This results-driven culture encourages schools to organise themselves to suit Ofsted rather than the children's edcation. Each year Osted changes its mind and rumours abound about what is required for a 'satisfactory' or 'good' etc. This annoys, distracts and confuses the job being done in schools. Schools also spend an inordinate amount of time and resources just appeasing the officious and treacherous Ofsted inspectors. Ofsted has been the single most damaging quango to ever have been invented. Schools need to be monitored, not inspected by lay people and those who have forgotten the purpose of education.

By the way, I used 'himself' because it is correct to do so whatever the sex of the subject, as 'themselves' is clumsy. In inspections I have been deemed good, outstanding and satisfactory. Utter tosh in my opinion. I achieved those 'judgements' by playing the Ofsted game. Zinzan that's what schools are now doing- playing you at your own game.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I know a couple of serving heads who are inspectors and one who was. All of them use the money that they are paid to lead inspections to top up school funds, I have never met a serving head who was paid both as a head and an inspector.
    I currently do some support work for my LA and for a National Provider for which I am paid, but the money goes directly into my school budget and I do not draw a penny. In fact I don't even claim travelling expenses so I actually end up losing some money. I do it because my school benefits from the process - even supporting so called "failing schools" the lead school can get a lot out of the partnership, and the money helps to keep my class sizes relatively small (below 30 in primary). Any additional paperwork is done in my own time. I'm sure the inspectors I know who are serving heads operate in the same way.
    I'd rather have a serving head than someone who has never been a teacher (one colleague stopped inspecting because they were sick of working on inspections where the lead hadn't got an educational background) I have been inspected by someone who was never a head, and someone who was a head for less than a year and gave it up as a bad job as well as serving heads and very good ex heads, I know which I'd rather have.
    Inspectors, like teachers, come in all shapes and sizes, good, bad or indifferent and whilst I know I wouldn't want to be an inspector myself, I'm not going to moan about some serving headteachers who are. At least they have some idea what real schools are like.

14. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Correct on every count CurlyGirl............except not all inspectors are heads or ex heads, but your points are accurate and reflect my experience entirely, particularly over pay. Z

15. That's not a very good advert for Ofsted is it?

Ofsted make up the rules as it goes along. Schools which are 'failing' are only failing because Ofsted say they are. The system is self-governing and self serving.

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm no fan of ofsted but they're not going anywhere anytime soon, so give me someone who knows the reality of schools over someone who doesn't any day. That's all I'm
    Saying.
    The heads I know who've done inspections have done it for 2 reasons - to raise cash for their schools and to get the low down on the regime so they can prepare their staff and make it as pain
    free an experience as possible ( and stop them
    from going into SM which is hell)

17. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Schools, colleges, prisons etc that are failing......are failing to educate people as well as they could/should. Its not a game

18. They are failing...because the criteria set up by Ofsted say they are failing - there's no universal agreement of what 'failing' is. You're right, it's not a game and it shouldn't be. But Ofsted have forced schools and colleges and other providers to 'play the game' in order to 'get through Ofsted'. Ofsted has become the tail which wags the dog. Schools and colleges (I have worked in both for over 24 years) train their staff to put into practice those things which will help them get through Ofsted (not necessarily to improve the education of the child). My school has a Director of Teaching and Learning, and that person is constantly telling us that we are only three days' away from Ofsted, and that we should be mindful of how Ofsted would judge this or that practice, or that the children must know what target grade they are on and whether they know what to 'do' in order to progress up the exam grades scale, just to satisfy Ofsted should they walk through the school gates on Monday. This is explicit, and not just a tacit assumption on my part. No mention is made of how we could be improving the education of the children, through better musical education or through extra-curricular work. My school had an Ofsted inspection in the very same week the school put on a musical play for three evenings. Not one inspector turned up to watch any performance or rehearsal, because, I suspect, it doesn't fit any criteria by which it can judged (progress, three part lesson, plenaries, and the other falsities which are structural and not educational). The children were acting, playing, singing, performing, learning, progressing, and were showing pride in their school. Days later, we were told that the school was being put into special measures. That was nine years ago. I have never forgiven the Ofsted inspectors for that, and I never will. Since then, almost nine years ago, exam results has become the obsession, an unfaltering aim to get everyone grades A* - C as though 11 GCSE grades A*- C is evidence of a good education. Ofsted is to blame for this. They are snakes.

19. You are supporting my argument - the inspectors are not trying to improve education then. Are yousaying that they are doing the inspections for ulterior reasons?

20. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

perhaps its time you moved on El'