1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by oldteacher99, Sep 27, 2011.

1. I live in a place where Ofsted inspections do not regularly happen -perfectly legal, but I'm not going to elaborate because that will a. highlight exactly where I live (not good for e safety) and b. draw unwanted attention to my potential employer.
    So I know virtually nothing about Ofsted inspections. I've been subject to inspections by other bodies and have passed with flying colours. I consider myself a good teacher, and that anybody who has me in their school is extremely lucky. However, recently I was turned down for a temporary job on the basis that I had no Ofsted experience. The existing staff also have no Ofsted experience. However one of the candidates at interview had some experience of Ofsted, despite never having taught in the UK. Apparently, that steered the panel in their favour simply because the school has ordered a whole school Ofsted inspection later this term. My Union were supposed to send me some information about Ofsted and so far have not, so I am requesting information via this forum.

2. All the information you are likely to need is on the Ofsted website www.ofsted.gov.uk
    I have interviewed in schools subject to ISIS inspections (ie not Ofsted). It's highly unlikely that the successful candidate got the job largely due to 'ofsted experience' . A good teacher under ISIS is a good teacher under Ofsted, simple as that.
    Finally, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure you're a very good teacher, but I'd avoid in any interview saying that anybody who has you would be lucky. Never goes down well!

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Your school ordered an Ofsted inspection ..............how?