1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ofsted

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by pulsey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Any ideas for a really engaging assembly for my ofsted visit on monday? Im head of a small primary school (107).
    Thanks

2. Any ideas for a really engaging assembly for my ofsted visit on monday? Im head of a small primary school (107).
    Thanks

3. Good samaritan was a good assembly for me during ofsted.

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Surely you have an assembly cycle? With themes etc that you follow related to the curriculum you are delivering? If your a HT of a small school then perhaps you do a fair amount of teaching still [not saying that HTs in other settings don't]. You should know what to do.
    Sorry if this is sounding rather curt and OFSTED is looming but I'm disappointed that your asking for ideas and help about something so basic. It is similar to a request on another thread about a HT interview and a lesson observation.
    Do we not know how to teach these days???[​IMG]

5. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Ooops...'you're' not your.

6. The days of ofsted inspections being like 'strictly come dancing' where you have to put on a big show and you get scored on it are over. Don't do anything that is too different to what you do usually. Inspectors generally talk to pupils and ask if 'this is usual', and children are very honest! If you sometimes do very interactive assemblies, do one of those that takes in the school theme and gets pupils involved a bit. That sort of thing.

7. As a new HT I am still building up my bank of assemblies. I have already planned assemblies for the term related to SEAL but just wanted ideas for something different as I am trying to make my assemblies a little more interactive. I did one with lots of different brushes last week (we are all different and all can do different things) which went very well. Thanks anyway

8. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To be honest, I would suggest that OfSTED will take little interest in your assembly. You may well find that, while you are delivering the assembly, the team are going through your child safeguarding file in m inure detail, or checking to see whether you have a Community Cohesion policy, or looking at your Disability Equality Scheme.
    OfSTED will be more interested in seeing your term plan for assemblies than wasting 30 minutes watching one.
    Refocus.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

in minute detail

11. Gloriousness

Gloriousness New commenter

Nomad I can see your point, but I must point out that in our recent inspection the inspectors both sat and watched the entirety of the head's twenty minute assembly.

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

They didn't mine.
    They worked through every policy we had.

13. Gloriousness

Gloriousness New commenter

Aye, fair play, just felt it was worth mentioning.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whilst they might nobble you for not doing the 'act of worship' well enough, you can always live with that. Being nobbled for the important things, like Nomad suggests - that's the career-breaker.

15. In the section 10 days (pre 2005) it was a sort of tradition for 2 or 3 inspectors to observe an assembly. Quite a lot of current inspectors were inspectors then, and still carry on this tradition. Another variable is if some SEF grades hang in the balance. If, for example the SEF says grade 2 for SMSC and it looks to the inspection team that there are conflicts which suggest a grade 3, then it is more than likely that assemblies will be looked at.
    Middlemarch makes a good point about the collective act of workship. There isn't the same emphasis in inspections on this than there was in section 10. The reason being that there is no requirement to comment on this in the section 5 report and it is not one of the graded elements. Evidence gained during assemblies can go towards SMSC, behaviour, CGS and possibly some 'soft' outcomes like healthy lifestyles or safety depending on content.
    If you're really cunning, and you know your healthy/safety SEF judgements are a bit dodgy, do some work in assemblies on helping pupils to understand cyber safety or understanding healthy diets,/food tasting so that you can direct inspectors (in the phone call)to the assembly as good examples of how you're helping pupils to understand safety and healthy lifestyles. I emphasise though that you've got to do some groundwork first and not put on a big show when inspectors are in.