1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted worries

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by beats_56, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Agency just rang and offered me four mornings next week with the possibility of it continuing...great news! However, they also mentioned that the school are expecting Ofsted at any time and to be prepared for this. I have never experienced Ofsted yet as I am new to supply and therefore I'm a tad worried about it. I accepted the job because I need the work. I was also told to prepare my own lessons, which is fine but when Ofsted is mentioned, it is a bit worrying...will they need to look at any plans etc. Has anyone experienced Ofsted whilst on supply?

2. Agency just rang and offered me four mornings next week with the possibility of it continuing...great news! However, they also mentioned that the school are expecting Ofsted at any time and to be prepared for this. I have never experienced Ofsted yet as I am new to supply and therefore I'm a tad worried about it. I accepted the job because I need the work. I was also told to prepare my own lessons, which is fine but when Ofsted is mentioned, it is a bit worrying...will they need to look at any plans etc. Has anyone experienced Ofsted whilst on supply?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a supply you're not treated any differently by OFSTED.
    There are now reduced criteria for OFSTED, so do a quick search.
    The main point is they'll probably be in your lesson for 15 mins But will want to see evidence of learning & improvement.

4. Ok thanks for letting me know. I don't really understand why Ofsted wouldn't treat supply teachers any differently... I mean, I will never truly know the children and will have a very vague idea of each child's ability and needs compared to their regular teacher. Surely this qualifies me as being different and having a considerable disadvantage. Maybe I'm wrong to think like that?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I volunteered for a day's supply on day one of a school's OFSTED inspection when other supply teachers chickened out. The SLT asked OFSTED not to look in because I was a supply teacher. All I had to do was make sure that corridor behaviour was right and that no-one got sent out of my lessons.

I earned some brownie points with the school on that day, and I've had regular work there since. I say go for it.

6. Lara mfl 05

Know what you mean
    Worst experiemce I had during an inspection, was walking into a lesson to find another supply teacher also there! Neither of us knew much about what the children were doin, so I suggested he did the lead & I would pick up the plenary.
    By the time we'd found out exactly what we were supposed to do (the lesson plans had been taped to the desk, so no chance of seeing beforehand), in walked the inspector! It was reading a script about life in Ancient Greece, very boring & definitely no chance of showing progression. The Inspector just talked with one child in the corner of the room (inevitably the one I'd already identified as 'one to watch'!), asked him if he knew what he was doing- how could he as his teacher's didn't?
    The afternoon lesson, which I'd managed to have a look a t& write up lesson objevtives & success criteria for -never came near!
    Best wishes that your experience is better.

7. Is it Primary or Secondary? I only know secondary. I like OFSTEd in my lessons. I have not been drudged out by the management flap like the other teachers.
    I have been OFsteded three times on supply. So I go in with a very simple lesson plan, I do not do a 'show' lesson. I throw in some links to numbers, spelling, and fings. In fact not much different than a good supply lesson.
    I was observed as 'Outstanding' in two subjects in the same school. What a laugh, I did not know if they knew or not during the lesson wether I was a supply. They observed the whole lesson (2 of them in), they fed back some very positive stuff, then fed back some negative stuff, I was ok about that. I told them I was a supply on my third day in the school. The perm staff, I was a regular in the school by then, were ok about things. However I was asked what my strategy was. I said not to give a jot about Ofsted.
    Interestingly a few months later I was being observed for a maternity cover. Did the same lesson and never got the job. HT feedback was that my lesson was to simple and what would Ofsted think!
    I said thats ok I will take it on board, but ofsted liked it last time. I even had the report to prove my outstanding however they probably never noticed it and it would have been inappropriate to bring it out. You will never change their minds at that stage of the game.

8. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences, it's good to hear what other people have been through. I hope I do have a good experience or maybe I'll be lucky and the school will tell them not to come in and see my lesson. haha I don't think I'm that lucky!
    Its primary, I'll be teaching year one.

Will the inspectors ask to see my lesson plan? Will they ask me anything? I really don't know what to expect; It's only my second job of supply since graduating.

9. Here is my secondary opinion for what it is worth.
    Read the OFsted criteria for Primary.
    They want to see a good lesson with children engaged and learning sumfink.
    Dangers - Inventing something new which you have never really done before with a class because it is OFSTEd
    Strategy - Look back at what has worked really well in the past, your favourite lesson as it where, adapt your favourite lesson to what you need to do. This maybe easier to do in Secondary than Primary. I really do not know.
    You need a lesson plan, However OFsted do not tend to dig deep unless they are wondering about something. They have never read my lesson plan. Even though my observation when it went good, they were observing the department so I had two in for the whole lesson. It was the big one observing the teaching of the subject not the snapshot view they do when getting a feel for the whole school.
    However my view, I regard OFsted in as something I like, not something to avoid. I like to be observed.
    However I do not like management faffing about and worrying and creating masses of paperwork, I hate that.
    Strut your stuff, deliver a good lesson. Forget you are a supply when ofsted are in, unless it goes good then tell them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry but if you are on supply at short notice, then how can OFSTED expect you to show progress with a class you don't know? If you are using the teacher's plans, then it's down to them and if you have been asked to do your own planning, how are you supposed to know the levels of each child, let alone their names?

11. Point taken however as a supply you can only work with what you have. A teacher doing a good lesson will stop them digging deep. So ofsted days, you have a lesson plan. and deliver a good lesson, as best you can,

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You should also remember that if it's a Section 5 inspection OFSTED have already made their judgement about the school based on its 'performance' data, and are simply looking for evidence to back their conclusion. What you do or don't do as an individual supply teacher in one lesson isn't going to alter the school's overall grading, unless you committed some major safeguarding gaffe.

On that specific subject - OFSTED inspectors sometimes test the safeguarding measures by removing their visitor badges to see if they're challenged about it. Be prepared to query any adult who's not got an ID badge on during inspection.

13. Thanks for all of the advice guys, much appreciated. I am worried about it, not only because I want to impress Ofsted but also because I want to impress the school. I was told that if I do a good job, they are looking for someone to cover mon - thurs mornings permanently...so I feel a lot is riding on this. I now pose another question for you lovely people - which unit to I do? There has been another lady from my agency doing this job for 3 weeks already, she was offered the permanent role but turned it down as she had another job lined up; so I am taking over. The agency told me that she has just finished Unit 4 in literacy - fantasy worlds. I was once told that the narrative units really should be done 1 - 4 as they build on skills from the previous unit but as for poetry and non-fiction, it really doesnt matter the order of units. So I assume the children have now completed all narrative units. But where do I now begin? I would really like to do poetry Unit 1 - using the senses but I have no real way of knowing what they've done since september, I can only assume. So do you think its alright to do poetry unit 1, which I am enthusiastic about (remembering Ofsted might pop in anytime so its best to do something I feel good about)? Any advice?

14. Lara mfl 05

In view of Ofsted I would definitely stick with something you're enthusuatic about so go with the poetry unit.
    I would say use lesson 1 LO 'to assess children's current knowledge of poetry techniques' using whichever poem you like & then you can plan from there e g 'to extend children's knowledge of . . .'
    Wishing you all the best.

15. Yeah I'll do that thanks. It's a good idea to find out before I start the unit. Cheers for the advice!