1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted will mark down schools where the veil hinders learning

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder how Grumpy Wilshaw feels about toupees. There were a couple of years there back in my Secondary education when I couldn't learn any French because of this one teacher's awful syrup.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's a nonsense soundbite because how on earth will they prove a veil, headscarf or face covering hinders learning?

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Just started a thread on this at almost the same time.

Now sit back and watch all those, who are desperate to prove how liberal they are, call the likes of me racist, even though religion has nothing to do with race. Which if it did would be further proof of what nonsense it is.

To recap what I said in my thread:
    1. Head coverings should be banned in schools.
    2. As in France, wearing the burka in public should be illegal.

5. David Getling

Yeah, and while we're at it anyone guilty of committing the disgusting act of comb-over (often accompanied by tons of grease) should be made to have regular crew cuts.

6. Vince_Ulam

Which brings us back to post #2; what about wiggies?

7. Flere-Imsaho

It's amazing how you know what people are going to say. Why are you choosing to frame this as a debate about racism?

8. David Getling

I'm not. I'm saying that others will.
    Already answered, but moderators are messing up the flow. Then I suppose they have to create work for themselves to justify their crust (not the kind that forms on a highly greased comb-over).

9. Vince_Ulam

I think Grumpy should have his minions mark down schools where teachers wear coloured bras under white tops, even if the culprits are women.

10. Vince_Ulam

I'm curious, @David Getling; do you turn away tutees who wear a head scarf?

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Do you work with a lot of men in coloured bras?

12. Flere-Imsaho

Where is your thread @David Getling ?

13. Vince_Ulam

If I do then they have the good taste not to wear white tops over them.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ofsted have got so much wrong over the last however many years it is, that I no longer take them seriously.

How does wearing a veil affect learning overall? Do veil wearers perform better? Is it the veil that actually makes them cleverer or not?

These people are surely close to being finished!

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What?
    Hair?

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why would anyone want to do that when there are so many other colourful, humerous and (frankly) accurate epithets to use?

Back to the subject, though. I would endorse the statement made by Leora Cruddas, Director of Policy at the Association of School and College Leaders, who said: "We do not think that it is the role of Ofsted inspectors to judge schools on uniform policies and dress codes. Inspectors should focus on what schools achieve rather than what people wear. Schools make decisions on uniform policies and dress codes with the needs of their staff and pupils in mind and take into consideration relevant educational, welfare and equalities issues."

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It will be interesting to see how many SLT/SMT jump to OFSTED's tune and ban veils. It will also be interesting when the first school is taken to court to test the validity of the ban. No law id being broken by wearing one, OFSTED have not banned them. Any decision to ban them is solely the school's.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Correction - 'humorous'.

19. john_matthewsg

john_matthewsg New commenter

I detest the burqa and would have bans in court rooms/hospital staff etc but on what grounds can you call for an outright ban?

20. john_matthewsg

john_matthewsg New commenter

From my - very limited - experience of two full veiled students there can be a few problems:
    Much more difficult to asses how student is doing.
    Alienates themselves from other students (aren't we all about inclusion now).
    Anecdotal but I think it damages the confidence of the wearer.