1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED-why does it upset so many people?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by OfstedWatch, Jan 11, 2012.

1. The whole inspection process seems to be incredibly bruising, divisive and confrontational. Do they have similar problems in other countries? We're obviously way down in the international comparison stakes when it comes to educational standards, but how do we fare compared to others in terms of the whole inspection process? Is there no better way of inspecting schools that avoids all the stress and aggravation?

2. The whole inspection process seems to be incredibly bruising, divisive and confrontational. Do they have similar problems in other countries? We're obviously way down in the international comparison stakes when it comes to educational standards, but how do we fare compared to others in terms of the whole inspection process? Is there no better way of inspecting schools that avoids all the stress and aggravation?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hmmm

4. It is almost 20 years since OFSTED were thrust upon the education system. How many other organisations with this failure rate would have lasted this long? This system doesn't work.
    'The cost of running Ofsted is the equivalent of almost 5,000 teachers a
    year, according to a new study by the Economic and Social Research
    Council.'
    It would be very interesting to find out what the impact on educational standards would be if the money it cost to run OFSTED was put directly into education. Trouble is there is never going to be a government with the b*lls to try it out!

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

I think the fact that the inspectors are now having to have a day's training on hearing children read says quite abit about how far away from the chalk face they must be ...
    Personally, having jumped through 4 Ofsted hoops now, I find it irritating that they keep moving/changing the goalposts, re-incarnating themselves, keeping themselves in jobs by offering "training" for the "new" Ofsted criteria - of which the "hearing reading" is a new bit ...
    Making "satisfactory" a label which suggests you're actually not and are failing ...
    I could go on and on and on ... about this but I refuse to devote more than the few minutes it's taken to type this to the BIG O ... I shall be waving goodbye at the end of this school year and O is the ONE thing I will NOT miss!!! Those remaining have my sympathies!!!

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I think the fact that you have to read up on what the current inspection fixation is, to make sure you tick those boxes, demonstrates that the inspection process has somewhat lost its way.
    An inspection process that does not celebrate successes and good things but instead, searches out all your little weaknesses and probes them, well, that is pretty evil and is responsible for much of the stress and strain in the workplace and probably has led to a decline in standards because the morale of the teaching profession has been continually drained.

7. I have endured 4 Ofsted's and all of them left me wondering why I bothered choosing teaching as a profession.
    What annoys me about Ofsted Inspectors in particular is the ones who haven't got a clue. In Nov 2010 an inspector observed me teaching a Letters & Sounds session to Year 1.The session did go over the usual 15/20 minute length. In my feedback he told me "I didn't really know what you were doing, what was the point?" I was gobsmacked at that comment!!!!
    He then went on to say that the session was too short and should have been much longer. I had to tell him that it had actually been TOO LONG and should have only been 15/20 minutes long as a daily phonics session suggested by the government.
    This was an elderly gentleman who had taught Humantities in High School. He was so out of touch. I did inform the lead inspector about his comments an she looked slighty worried and quickly changed the subject.
    I sometimes want to say to them ' well if if I don't tick all your boxes why don't you come back tomorrow and SHOW ME HOW IT'S DONE' - bet none of them would take me up on that!
    Louise

8. sadika

sadika New commenter

Re: I sometimes want to say to them ' well if if I don't tick all your boxes why don't you come back tomorrow and SHOW ME HOW IT'S DONE' - bet none of them would take me up on that!

Absolutely!!! Think they would at the least wet themselves at the thought!!!!
    [​IMG]