1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED when are governors informed of the outcome?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by JO9832, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    When would the governors be told about the outcome of a schools OFSTED ?
    Thansk

2. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    When would the governors be told about the outcome of a schools OFSTED ?
    Thansk

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd hope immediately after the lead inspector's briefing on the last day of the inspection, to which the chair or another governor is invited. The outcome will be confidential to governors until the report is issued though. The procedure's all in the Ofsted Inspection Handbook.

4. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

My husband is a govenor and the school was inspected yesterday and today he has heard nothing

5. Rott Weiler

I suggest he phones the Chair of Governors and asks for an email to all governors summarising the outcome!

6. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

I am surprised that the chair did not arrange an urgent meeting to disseminate the outcome with members. Short of that a confidential resume by email would suffice. A thought has crossed my mind that if for instance the school was judged inadequate/SM, then the Chair/Head may well be holding back until they have discussed matters with the LA, although in my book they would have no right to do that as the findings are the ownership of the whole GB not just the chair/head. There is a short process that ofsted post visit will go through before it publishes its findings.

7. Just bumping this - I am a Governor and the school was inspected last Weds and Thursday. I have heard nothing about the outcome whatsoever.
    Am I allowed to ask the Head/Chair?
    Thanks

8. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Yes of course you are entitled. Your head who is a governor and your chair plus possibly some other governors will have been involved in the two day process and know the tentative outcome subject to the inspectors further deliberations back at base and any input the school decide to make in response to receiving the draft report.

My thoughts are that when the balance of the governors are not informed fairly instantly then it's probably not good news.

9. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I agree. And arguably if governors have not been informed of a provisional judgement then this could be reflective of standards in a school that (at best) require improvement.
    [​IMG]

10. Well, still not been informed, and today I have received the agenda for the next GBM which is next week. In the agenda it states that the Ofsted report will be published in 2 weeks - which says to me that they do not intend to discuss it at GBM but make us wait until official publication which is several days after.
    Could anyone point me in the direction of any official guidance with respect to governors being informed of the provisional judgement that I can approach the Chair with ? Or advise me on my best course of action? I don't feel it's right that we are being kept in the dark. I feel as though we're not trusted!

11. Rott Weiler

Ofsted feedback is confidential until the report is published, but that doesn't mean all governors can't be told. The feedback from the lead inspector is to the school and governing body - the chair is there as a representative of the whole GB. The confidentiality isn't restricted to those were physically present in the room when the feedback was given. I've been present at quite a few feedbacks and I've never heard the inspector suggest that the feedback couldn't be shared with the whole GB. We always do a quick email to all governors immediately after the feedback with the 'headlines', stressing it's confidential to GB until report is published.

12. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I think RW is right – whichever governors meet Ofsted are
    simply representative of the GB and as I understand it Ofsted feeds back to the
    GB (representatives) in the expectation that by doing so the GB is informed.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>I think I would be tempted to email the CoG to say you
    are pleased that the Ofsted inspection has been placed as an agenda item at the
    FGBM and that you look forward to a detailed discussion at the meeting. the you can ask why information confidential to - but not confidential from - the GB has been witheld and why.

This sort of hierarchical governance and withholding of essential
    information really has no place in schools today. All governors (even the CoG) are
    supposed to be equal in status and unless there is very good reason (i.e. bias/taint
    etc) every governor should be entitled to receive the same information and at pretty
    much the same time. If you haven&rsquo;t challenged before maybe this is the time to
    start!
    Good luck [​IMG]
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>