1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted visiting

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by A.ta, Oct 21, 2016.

1. A.ta

A.ta New commenter

Hi, I have a question regarding HMI/ ofsted visit.
    Could they come to any lesson of the day (last lesson)? Do they come by themselves or with SLT? What if you (teacher) are marked as inadequate, does it affect your career? Thank you

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Technically they can come in at any time. However if it is a one day visit then the inspector will probably be sorting out his evidence after lunchtime. We recently had a two day visit and one of the inspectors was in a classroom around 2.30pm.

They usually invite the HT to accompany them on classroom visits. Ofsted no longer grade lessons so you cannot be graded as inadequate. However the overall quality of teaching and learning in the school can be graded as inadequate.

3. A.ta

A.ta New commenter

It is a
    Yes, it is a one day visit. The school thy I'm at only has one lesson in the afternoon- so was wondering if they would come in the last hour and if it's a one day visit.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got a visit last lesson with my worst class - it wasn't fun

5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

As they don't grade you personally anymore it won't affect your career. I quite liked it when they wrote reports by departments so you could find your own contribution (assuming it was good or better!). I feel we put so much into, it's satisfying to have a bit of a report you can put your finger on and know that's your bit. Having said that, we're waiting for them to come shortly and I'm dreading it! Still, can only do your best...

6. A.ta

A.ta New commenter

I would prefer them not to come last lesson as its a difficult group with behaviour issues (across the school- HT is aware too)

7. ajoke21

ajoke21 New commenter

Hi we had a two day of ofsted inspection two weeks ago and Slt told us that it would be up to two weeks before we got a grading. They said nothing else. Is this true? Have things changed? I thought they told you on the same day?

8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I have a question for you.

I presume they asked for a selection if books.

When were you told of the names on the list and how long did you have to get them in?

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Your SLT are lying to you. They would have been told the result at the end of the second day. They have obviously decided not to share it with staff until the report is published on the Ofsted website which takes about two weeks.

I told my staff by email that evening as the feedback finished late. They were under strict instructions not to reveal it to anyone as the report was still confidential and we had a whole school staff meeting the next day.

We are a small Primary School - I can only presume that you may be Secondary and therefore the SLT feel that the result would not stay secret - still no reason to lie to you though..

10. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

We have just had our OfSTED and we're told something similar by our SLT. It may be due to the type of inspection we had - we started as a Section 8 inspection as we were previously Good, but it converted to a Section 5 inspection as we may have changed category to Outstanding. SLT and Governors have been given the provisional findings but they are being moderated - mainly to ensure greater consistency between OfSTED teams than was previously the case.

Apparently one school which did share the provisional findings with staff (and which leaked further) got reinspected within a fortnight of the first inspection. I am (along with all my colleagues) more than happy to remain ignorant of the OfSTED finding if it avoids a second visit!

pineappleyoghurt likes this.
  11. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

In my opinion the SLT are not lying. We were inspected recently. We were told our grades on the day but it was explained that they are provisional, that they have to be quality assured and nothing is final until it is published. There is very clear direction that findings must not be shared outside of the SLT/Governors and that any deviation from this would be a serious breach of protocol and could result in a revisit and down grading particularly on leadership and safeguarding.