1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted tomorrow - I think I may cry!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LittleBrownBear, Dec 9, 2009.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

We have Ofsted inspection tomorrow (2 days). I am no where near ready - my planner is a mess, my data is a bit sparce, I am knackered and have a full day teaching and then parents evening. I am so scared I will fail I feel like crying! My marking is not up to date either and I can't pull an all night session! I will be asleep during a lesson tomorrow
    I hate teaching sometimes!

Ok, back to it :-(

2. asmsupply

asmsupply New commenter

Whatever happens, however it goes, the sun will go down and come up again! Put OFSTED into some sort of perspective - don't cry - they see a snapshot not the whole panorama!

3. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

You're 24 hours ahead of us..... I really hope that you went to bed and did not try and stay up all night. They have all the data they want - and you KNOW where your children are, even if it's not writtten down on a tracking sheet. Get rest and you will be better able to teach the children well - which is what matters.
    By the weekend, it will be over.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Really good luck today - just grit your teeth and do a good job - don't over-perform, and if you are really stressed try to focus on the basics. Just make sure that there are opportunities for you to demonstrate children making progress in your lessons, as that is the number one thing they will look for.
    Also, this might sound really really stupid, but make sure you force yourself to have a good breakfast - it really makes a huge difference for some reason!
    One of my favourite phrases is 'This Too Shall Pass'. Put some wine in the fridge before work so it will be chilled by Friday!

5. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Good luck Brown Bear.
    Hope it all goes well for you

x

6. We had them last week - in special measures. They were surprisingly supportive and positive. Good luck - this time last week I was sobbing over my computer.

7. Good luck.

8. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

we know they are coming, but no-one has yet told us when, they surely wouldn't come on the last week before christmas?

Surprisingly the video recorders for the last few weeks have remained empty, much to the delight of those of us who have to teach up until the end.

9. A friend's daughter, who teaches - is a HOD - was told last month about the arrival of Ofsted inspectors. She and most of the staff at her secondary school stayed on the premises until nearly midnight getting things - mainly paperwork and exercise books - in order and fit for inspection, and then she came home and continued working through the night.
    The next day the staff did the same, giving up their breaks and lunchtimes so they could charge about like headless chickens to get their areas and admin bang up to date...creating a lot of stuff just to impress.
    These inspections are a joke, and good only for giving teachers blood-pressure problems and anxiety. Ofsted don't see the school as it is...they see a tarted-up version of everything...This was true back in the mid-nineties when such inspections started. We might as well have put out red carpets for the inspectors when they arrived for their week in school. Back then we spent a whole term getting ready for them, and feeling overwhelmed and anxious, to the detriment of our teaching.
    Things haven't changed have they...
    What is the point?

10. PS: I hope your inspection goes well LBB. The whole thing is so stressful.

11. I think it would be a whole lot less stressful for everyone if they just turned up with no warning. If everything is in place as it should be, there should be no worries (idealistic I know). Eventually people would get used to the feeling that 'they could just turn up'.

12. We are subject to the 'just turning up with no warning' (pvi setting) and it is just as stressful as you tend to know about the time they will return.. We are fairly certain that we would be done before Xmas and I have returned to work after a major back op because of this. I can't beleive that they would come the last week before Xmas but anything is possible. Though we are not a school, anything less than good has major implications on our funding so there's no pressure!!

13. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

We've just been told that they are deliberately timing visits so that you can't work out when they will come. Any 'patterns' anyone thought they'd noted about timings have all been quashed! Remeber too, it (I believe) is not necessarily a focus on individual teachers, but a whole school issue. I also like to think that inspectors who have been teachers MUST also have had lessons which have been complete nightmares!

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Best of luck. Don't stress too much. The parents with common sense know what a farce it is too. I'm not a huge fan of my son's primary school but I was really cross with their recent Ofsted report which was a horrid mix of jargon and standard sentences which meant nothing. They'd improved loads but their main grading hadn't changed from last time so to the casual reader it looks as if nothing has changed. They worked so hard and seem to have got a slap in the face for their efforts. But I don't give a fig what Ofsted say. I have to deal with Ofsted as a childminder and they are a most incompetent organisation. They can't even send a receipt for the right amount. At least any parents in your school who have to deal with ofsted will know what they're like!

15. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Absolutely! I've been both, and of course I have taught my fair share of bad lessons. Any decent inspector knows the pressure that teachers feel and will be sensitive to that. Not all inspectors are unfeeling dartboard-fodder who didn't cut it in the classroom, honest!

16. then don't clean the screen

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

no im purely guessing.......but its a great chat up line i think lol

18. *LOL* better than "does this tissue smell of chloroform?"

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

as if...with my charm they drop the hankie for me to pick up......trouble is as im so cuddly i just tell them and ask then to pick it up lol
    i was chatted up by a woman in asda today.and all because i said i cooked......she was gobsmaked that men cook....so she got interested lol
    i didnt do anything of course.......fancy wanting a man because he can cook and not for his sexy body!

20. HOw did you get on? I know hoe you feel as we have OFSTED in on Monday and Tuesday next week! How mean on the last week of a really long, tiring term, I was ready to put my dvds on and my feet up! Realising that you can only do your best and be yourself! Newly promoted to HOD in MFL so feeling pressure at the mo. Back to it....