1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED to switch from exam results focus

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Oct 11, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Oh Lord...

stonerose and nomad like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

just look back through your records and pull out whatever you had when the "new " criteria last came around

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Perhaps all the SMT's with clip boards, could be sent back to teaching and mark in fifteen different colours, ithat would save a lot of money in our schools

5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

This is welcome news as long as the DfE and OFSTED have the same thought process. If the DfE still hammer league tables, results, standards etc and OFSTED are focussing on curriculum, welfare, personal development then it'll just be a nightmare.

bevdex, drek, PeterQuint and 6 others like this.
  6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good point.

drek, stonerose and thekillers1 like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Believe it when I see it.

Spielman was on R4 this morning. Very short on detail. She did admit that the current regime encourages teaching to the test and restricting curricula.

Cant wait to see an OFSTED report which says, "Great outcomes, RI because curriculum too restricted."

8. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

Actually I don't think in the interview that I heard did she say that they were to switch focus from exam results, what she said was that exam results would not be the only focus.

So we will have to provide fantastic outcomes AND a balanced curriculum.

Ie more work.

drek, thekillers1, stonerose and 3 others like this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

How long before the sneering Wilshaw 'contributes' to the discussion with his customary bile and venom?

drek, stonerose and nomad like this.
  10. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I am wondering if this is due to political pressure on Ofsted:

ie., the new 9-1 exams have not provided the "predicted" rise in standards.

More kids are failing as the exams have been made harder, so to cover up that fact, the goalposts have been deliberately moved again to save political embarrassment.

drek, tterb, thekillers1 and 6 others like this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

Are they failing? I thought that they just moved the boundaries?

What was it 18% in Maths for a grade 4 or was it 5?

drek, Jamvic and henrypm0 like this.
  12. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

18% Jesus wept, if 18% is a pass, you've failed.

drek and thekillers1 like this.
  13. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Spot on bb. This is undoubtedly a factor.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We've had this discussion before. 18% on the higher papwr which is taken by those deemed capable of a grade 5. So 18% on that paper for a 4 is fair as the vast majority of the kids taking it will get a lot more than 18% and get grades 5 to 9. On the Foundation paper a 4 would need a lot more than 18%

slstrong123 and ScienceGuy like this.
  15. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Having said all of that, the wider issue is that making exams harder and expecting everybody to raise their game (while at the same time sacking TAs and maths teachers being almost impossible to recruit) was an act of political idiocy and supreme arrogance that was bound to end in failure...

The consequence of the experiment is that, no, kids did not get better at maths (surprise, surprise), and to save face, the bar was dropped to achieve a good pass. Today we are told, "grades don't matter that much, in any case", which seems to be a political retreat tactic.

Alice K, stonerose, tonymars and 2 others like this.
  16. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I feel a certain amount of cautious enthusiasm - after all, the relentless focus on target grades is one of the main problems I have been arguing against for some time. However, the laws of unintended consequences are always there to spoil the best of intentions so I think it is a case of watch this space.

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It's a way to criticise even those who get great results.
    All the students and their parents are thrilled with the results-kiddies are going on to uni/great training course?
    Kiddies are all happy and have enjoyed learning?
    The great exam results show these damn teachers actually are good so we aren't allowed to have a go at them/justify our existence?
    Well, we'll have to change that!

stonerose likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

How long before he gets bottled and disappeared?!

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted need to go - along with League Tables. The money saved would be a mint. The upshot would maybe would be less stressed schools, teachers staying and money saved going into classroom teacher salaries :cool:

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  20. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Yeah, Ireland it's 40% for higher or lower.

Alice K likes this.