1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted to penalise schools for 3 year GCSE courses

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

GCSEs have become more challenging so schools who teach pupils that are behind/below target are trying to even up the playing field.

OFSTED have noticed this and want to punish schools for doing so.

Are OFSTED trying to decrease the outcomes of the most vulnerable in society and enable only the elite to become successful at these new GCSEs?

bessiesmith2 and drek like this.
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Impossible to police.

A while ago I read a piece on the Hitlerisation of history, and that WWII is often taught 3 or 4 times throughout a child’s school years.

You simply can’t ringfence content in the way you suggest. For GCSE maths you need to know fractions. For GCSE English, punctuation. For GCSE science the periodic table. It’s impossible not to NOT to teach these at KS3.

drek likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Ofsted have said they will review schemes of work. If you are teaching a topic to a class on a spiral curriculum then that’s fine. If you have put them into a group in Year 9 where they stay until Year 11 and they are doing both topic and GCSE exam practice before Year 10 then that is a risk you just don’t need to take.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

They just know and what they don't know they make up.

agathamorse and drek like this.
  5. drek

drek Lead commenter

There is no way one can teach the KS4 science programme in two years these days.
    Year on year poor leadership decisions and skills have created a society of disaffected, demanding, dependent students particularly in areas of high social housing.......not to mention their parents.

Poor behaviour, lessons constantly getting disrupted and understaffing lead to poor support systems for these students. It’s a never ending cycle.

The one thing that is common is how quickly these parents and their children can pick up and recall unpleasant catchphrases that can turn management focus from them onto their teachers............

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

But they've said they won't punish a 3 year KS4 as long as the curriculum is balanced.

It makes no sense.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I think the 'balanced curriculum' is going to focus more on the breadth of subjects on offer. For example, the University of Sussex has recently conducted a survey into music teaching at secondary schools which highlighted the following:
    Currently a number of students receive NO music education at KS3, others receive a significantly reduced amount (eg on a carousel),
    15% of students in English schools cannot opt for GCSE music if they want to,
    There is a correlation between schools with high numbers of PP students and decreased amounts of time for KS4 music
    A number of secondary schools have cancelled extra-curricular music clubs and concerts etc.

I suspect these kinds of issues, relating to all the non-ebacc subjects will raise concern. As they should do - although the Government's previous insistence on prioritising ebacc subjects in the league tables at the expense of everything else is the clear source of the problem - I don't think Heads suddenly decided on a whim to cut all their creative subjects because they didn't like them anymore......

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They might.

Then again they might not.

I expect it will depend on the people/school doing it.

Ofsted could of course approve curricula before schools employ them. Or provide model acceptable curricula, then there won't be any issues and schools will know they have an acceptable curriculum.

But they won't.

Instead we'll have some of our schools teaching apparently "unacceptable" curricula to OUR children for two, three or four years before anyone does a thing about it.

Ofsted have been an absolute disaster for the profession. They are beyond useless and well past their use-by date. They are now an arm of govt policy and need to be binned today.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. tterb

tterb New commenter

I recall.in 2004 the government guidance suggesting a condensed KS3 as part of the National Strategies. To do a U turn now is nonsensical madness. Absolutely typical and a huge amount of unnecessary work.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  10. miss_singmarbles

miss_singmarbles New commenter

The practice of a 3 year GCSE course predates the new qualifications in a lot of schools. Where I used to work they started taking GCSE modules in Y9 so there would be even more opportunities for retakes, and anyone who achieved a C or above by the end of Y10 did some "extra" qualification or other in Y11 which handily boosted the school's league table results while leaving most pupils with a large but mediocre set of grades. Thankfully such practices are no longer possible, but a 3 year KS4 is not a new thing.

agathamorse, Shedman and Catgirl1964 like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We used to do GCSE Statistics with year 9 in the 6 weeks or so between the KS3 SATs and the GCSE exam. We took top set Maths and used their Maths and Science time ( I taught those) The Maths teacher divided up the topics and we raced through them. 100% pass rate at C as well.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've always thought GCSE statistics was a Micky Mouse qualification. Thanks for confirming that.

13. agnes99

agnes99 New commenter

My July birthday son sat a GCSE science module in Y9, at the age of 13. He wasn't really ready and was so disappointed with his result (A not the A* he was aiming for). He ended up resitting that module later to prove to himself and everyone else he could do it. The whole experience was pointless and potentially damaging psychologically.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Gove may have done enormous damage to education but at least he put a stop to that nonsense.

15. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Students haven’t been able to retake for quite a number of years - I know that a 3 year ks4 is not a new thing but I was trying to suggest that with the new GCSEs it would become more prevalent as so much content over a number of subjects is almost impossible to learn and give students a well rounded educational experience.

16. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Children in Y7, 8, or 9 aged 11 to 14 are in Key Stage 3, whatever they are studying.

"Three year key stage 4" is a contradiction in terms.

17. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Three year GCSEs aren't a new thing.... In my twenty years of teaching experience the latest we ever started teaching the GCSE course would be half way through Year 9 with a bit of cramming for SATs here and there.

Thinking back to when I was in Yr9, 30 odd years ago, we started our GCSE course in Yr9.....

18. claytongsimpson

claytongsimpson New commenter

It seems to be a lot of problems in teaching programs nowadays. I'm just a parent whos kids going to school and I want to have a good educational program for them. I even navigate to this web-site and read a review on paperrater just in case. Old teachers say that modern education became worse and worse and I try to find a solution. Maybe someone could do a simple review of what is happening now? It would be great to read such an article (or post).

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What is it, more precisely, that you want to know about @claytongsimpson (assuming it's a serious question and not a troll post)?

Which country are your own children going to school in?

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Key question is that they say they're going to penalise schools, but have they actually done that.
    I'm still waiting for a school to be pulled up for over marking in too many colours.

Jamvic likes this.