1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED stay completely quiet over its "Outstanding" grade to knife school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

You miss the point. They get paid a 'fortune' for what they do. Its very easy to be a 'paid critic' who merely churns out 'copy and paste' reports. Whereas a teacher's job is far more onerous and less well paid. Ofsted is the 'elephant in the room' - outdated, lazy, distant and overpaid.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What does it say? Please post a link so that I can read it if it says I am wrong about something. Thank you.

3. Happygopolitely

Yes agree. And the 10,000 pounds bonus some Ofsted officials received is just daft.

4. Rott Weiler

Third request. Are you actually going to tell me what this mysterious google page says, or is it imaginary?

5. Happygopolitely

Great point. It seems to be for those that want a cushy number. I recall a school where they seemed to deliberately room the Ofsted officials at the furthest point from the classrooms just to allow them that bit of exercise.

6. Rott Weiler

I am going to assume your claimed page does not exist and my information, that Ofsted classroom inspectors do not earn "a fortune", is in fact accurate.

7. Happygopolitely

Indeed - Lets take Adi Bloom's report on the 14th July 2017 (very easy to google). 110,000 pounds overall was given to Senior members of staff. Lets face it Ofsted should have given that money to a needy school. 110,000 pounds is more than a fortune ....

The facts speak for themselves . The 'National Careers' website also shows low hours for Inspectors compared to that of a teacher and an experienced Inspector going to beyond 70,000 pounds in salary. That is a fortune compared to any experienced teacher.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

One we had they were installed in a set of rooms wirh plenty of space and their oen kitchen and toilets. When they went they left it in a right state. Litter everywhere and all the documents they had requested strewn about the place.

9. Rott Weiler

At last! It's like pulling teeth. Thank you for confirming I was correct.

So it's what I said, top of HMI payscale is £72,000 which is about the same as the average pay of a Primary head (around £68,000). So not a fortune considering the National Careers website says HMI are expected to been a head or equivalent first.

10. Happygopolitely

Lol - not quite. You miss the point again and again. Ofsted Inspectors in classrooms do mere 'copy and paste' jobs and earn a fortune for the little you do.

If you do not consider 72,000 pounds a fortune compared to the measly pay and tougher job that experienced classroom teachers do then you are deluded. And self praise is no praise my dear. 72, 000 pounds could go a very long way in many school budgets.

11. Happygopolitely

Says it all. I will never forget an Ofsted inspector who demanded help to carry books. Imagine if teachers did that ...

Lazy and well paid Ofsted need to go. Lets save a mint and support schools with the money instead.

12. Rott Weiler

I don't miss the point and I've made what I think crystal clear so there is nothing to be gained by engaging any further with you on this subject. You create more heat than light.

13. Happygopolitely

Mmm..if you say so. Crystal clear to one person is not the same as reality for all though is it? Too many experienced teachers are poorly paid for the job and hours they do - along with the stress. Ofsted have it easy and do earn a fortune - yet sadly provide no heat or light.

14. Happygopolitely

Lets face it.

There are schools where knives are brought in and the police are not informed by slt. For too long teachers have become the scapegoats of dodgy policies in schools and lazy Ofsted who question the number of exclusions.

15. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

HMIs earn around £75k a year, they are generally involved in regulatory work and more complex cases. Additional inspectors earn between £335 and £535 per day, this only includes inspection days so if you do two days inspection you get two days pay, regardless of how long it takes you to write up the report and the evidence. If you are self employed you’ll take home around 2/3 of this, and have to pay your own expenses, if you are still working in education, lots of inspectors do, then depending on the agreement you have with your employer you may not see any of the money, or you may see half by the time they take out all the employer contributions etc.
    If you get a cut and paste report, complain, it’s not acceptable.
    I’m not a fan of Ofsted or its processes, however try reading some inadequate reports for early years providers and you’d be glad that someone is going out to check.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  16. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Outdated and ignorant from your first post on this thread.
    Classic lightweight trolling. Gallery playing, and pretty bad at it.
    Sums up this forum well.