1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED stay completely quiet over its "Outstanding" grade to knife school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

No. But the CEO hires someone to do that, and they may well not be an engine builder either.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

4. Rott Weiler

Yes and yes.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The majority of inspectors are drawn from serving head or deputy head teachers of 'outstanding' schools. Many are also on the home straight to retirement - personally, I've never met an inspector under the age of 50.

When was the last time your head teacher taught a class for a whole day?

stonerose likes this.
  6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Ahem! They could always try classroom teaching? I've heard that some schools are short of a body or two.:rolleyes:

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well, that ain’t ever gonna happen, seeing that she and her ilk are a useless, feckless and graceless bunch of eejits. It is the same in the police and the NHS. Anyone incompetent gets promoted.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have been stating that ever since Ofsted's conception as a political tool to attack schools and teachers.

stonerose likes this.
  9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just saying hello Snowyhead. I have missed your posts.

10. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Not true of all Ofsted types. Ofsted Seniors get bonus payments - the kind of bonus teachers would regard as a fortune.

11. Rott Weiler

The inspectors I was commenting on were HMI and those who actually come into schools and do the inspecting. HMI and team inspectors aren't paid "a fortune" on any reasonable interpretation of 'a fortune'.

12. Happygopolitely

Untrue. The days in school and mere 'copy and paste' style reports is pretty easy work compared to actual teaching itself. Schools and communities are tired of seeing the same old reports over and over again. Over paid critics is the best phrase I have heard.

13. Rott Weiler

HMII and team inspector salaries are on the public record and can easily be compared to teachers and SLT salaries, which are also on the public record. If you think HMI are paid a fortune that's your opinion, no-one else has to agree with you or with me. They can look up the facts and decide for themselves.

14. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

1.Ofsted is a very expensive waste of taxpayers money, used to make "political moves" in education for government objectives.
    2. Useful for Teachers?
    No.The words "chocolate and teapot" spring to mind.

agathamorse and bessiesmith like this.
  15. Happygopolitely

Agree on some level. They are also - of course- paid by the hour. Teachers are not. The facts speak for themselves.

Lets face it - if greedy Ofsted went schools would save a mint. The money saved could be used far more effectively to support schools. And why don't they offer to teach in the very schools they claim are coasting? Because they are too scared to teach challenging students, too lazy to care about the communities at first hand and too greedy to admit teachers are short changed.

16. Rott Weiler

They aren't. HMI are full time salaried employees of OFSTED. Associate inspectors get paid a flat amount per inspection.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Happygopolitely

Temporary additional inspectors are sekf employed. Ordinary inspectors pay is 9 - 5 except in exceptional circumstances.

18. Rott Weiler

It's not 9-5, it's per inspection (or per day for the x number of days of that inspection if you want to be pedantic) and you work whatever hours are needed. As I said HMI are salaried employees, associate inspectors aren't. I can't see what point you trying to make though or how it relates to this thread.

19. Happygopolitely

Not according to google.

Either way : You miss the point - which is that Inspectors are well paid for the job they do compared to teachers. And that Ofsted need to go because they are an outdated machine.

20. Rott Weiler

Which google page? - link please.

I'm not missing any point. The claim was made by the OP that "OFSTED inspectors get paid a fortune". I have said they don't. Any other comparisons you want to make are entirely up to you. I haven't commented on them. They're your points, not mine.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019