1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED stay completely quiet over its "Outstanding" grade to knife school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jul 1, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48783925

Isn't it shocking, how OFSTED hide away, when they really need to explain their crazy "Outstanding" grade for a school where pupils and teachers are terrified much of the time. How did they get it so badly wrong? When is the next inspection going to take place? How will they get it right next time? How many other schools have 'Good" or "Outstanding" grades, but are also places of violence, knives, bullying, attacks on staff and pupils and similar?

OFSTED inspectors get paid a fortune. Spielman is paid an amount teachers dream about winning on the lottery. Instead of hiding away, issuing tiny snippets on lesbian and gay rights for nursery children, she needs to get a grip and start explaining how this organisation is getting it so badly wrong with behaviour in so many primary and secondary schools, and how it will quickly improve.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Untrue. HMI get about the same as the average Primary head. Other inspectors less.

nomad likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ofsted spokesperson Sean Harford does not believe Ofsted's own statements regarding behaviour.

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-doesnt-trust-its-own-behaviour-findings

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Not sure what OFSTED would say but looking at the information available, the outstanding grade was given in 2012 when it was just a Primary school. That difference in provision and time difference may explain in part the discrepancy. There was a monitoring visit last year which seems to paint a different picture to the news reports, which is odd. I would have thought though if the problems then were as bad as they are now, more than 27 parents would have shared their views with inspectors.

Pomza likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They gave the Trojan Horse schools outstanding and then when the brown stuff hit the spinning thing they re-inspected and found they were SM!

stonerose, snowyhead, bajan and 4 others like this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agreed. By the time you've added in travel costs, and time for writing report, writing up your evidence, corrections to QA, frequent compulsory training, its not well paid at all, at least not if you were one of the freelance inspectors.

7. Rott Weiler

So to be a bit controversial perhaps what Ofsted should do is double HMI/inspector's pay to something closer to what a MAT CEO gets then you would attract more able inspectors ;)

abacus1982 likes this.
  8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

One more example of why OFSTED needs to be dissolved and replaced by HMI.

hhhh likes this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So the "outstanding" OFSTED report was actually about a completely different school that used the same site. Bad reporting from the BBC.
    However, the student behaviour, and the management of it still looks appalling from where I sit. I'm surprised OFSTED haven't visited, I understood that once a school has changed status, they're in there pretty fast once the school has had a year to settle.
    Cases like this show up the weaknesses of the OFSTED (and HMI) system. The inspectors visit briefly, look as carefully as they can in the limited time available, then vanish never to be seen again (because any subsequent inspections will be done by a completely different team). Snapshots can be useful, but are not the whole answer. I would like to say the LA observation and support was the answer - but it wasn't with the school Mrs P worked in a bit more than a decade ago, and wasn't with a number of other difficult schools you heard rumours of on the grapevine.
    I know that there are other methods (do school improvement partners still exist?), but I get the feeling that good schools "get on with it" while struggling schools get into big trouble when things go awry.
    The bottom line is that this Government have been horribly distracted by other things, and although they try to say the right things about violence, including knife crime, among our young people and young adults, they haven't convinced me that they really want to change things.

stonerose likes this.
  10. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

No shocks here. Ofsted have always hidden away. Their gradings have been flawed before and doubted by some communities. They want the pay without teaching themselves.

Ofsted need to go.

tenpast7, stonerose and hhhh like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

It's the same school. The LA has expanded its age range since 2012. It hasn't changed its status, it's still an LA school. Why's it bad reporting by the BBC? The BBC article linked in post #1 doesn't mention its Ofsted grade or say anything about it being Outstanding.

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Surely most teachers would agree that all schools have got worse, partly because many good and experienced teachers left precisely because of Ofsted?
    Most of my teachers would have failed an Ofsted observation, had such been invented, but they wouldn't have felt scared to walk down the corridor as is the case today!
    Remember that Ofsted gave a glowing report to that school which was involved in promoting murser, too. Their leader has never even taught a class, has she? Would you want someone who has never worked as a doctor telling your surgeon what to do?

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The problem is that some parents still believe that all Ofsted inspectors are carefully selected, very experinced and intelligent teachers, not a load of freelancers. I've heard from many parents who actually think they are great teachers who take the odd day off here and there to help schools. Perhaps Ofsted's leader should do supply work in some difficult schools and show us all how it's done?

14. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

O ffoading
    F further
    S tress
    T o
    E ducationalists
    D uties

agathamorse likes this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You're right. I stand corrected.

16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Happens all the time.

I wouldn't expect the ceo of Ford to be able to put an engine together either.

17. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Oddly enough, I would.

Less oddly, I certainly would expect an inspector to be able to teach, and to have done so for a considerable period, in a variety of schools.

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  18. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Ofsted are in the school today and tomorrow.

19. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Deleted due to illiteracy.

20. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

That's not a legitimate comparison though, is it.

Does a CEO of Ford observe an engine builder, and say whether they're assembling it correctly?

agathamorse likes this.