1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted staff questionnaire

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by clermontfed, Jan 4, 2016.

1. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

We are due an inspection and will be asked to fill a staff questionnaire. What do you think of them? Do the inspectors really take any notice of the views of the staff or is it just a box ticking exercise?
    Do I fill it in or not?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes.

The inspectors do take note of the information in staff questionnaires, particularly with regard to child safeguarding and standards.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, fill it in.

Honestly.

They go to the Inspectors, in theory directly and not having been steamed open by anyone in school.

;)

It makes Ofsted think if they see a trend in staff responses.

Best wishes for the Inspection

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Once saw a Headteacher near tears because the staff questionnaire wasn't reflecting the school he imagined he ran... he still managed to ring a 'Good' out of them.

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

They are 'supposedly' not seen/filtered by SMT but I've heard some interesting stories......

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They are supposed to be anonymous (one of my schools had a ticklist for those who had handed theirs in!) so fill it in completely honestly and in capital letters!

7. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

Thanks for your replies. We did a mock one in preparation and the head wasn't pleased with the responses but nothing has changed! The same problems are still there, nothing has been addressed. I feel it is about time someone raised the issues that the vast majority of staff have concerning her leadership. The chair of governors is a personal close friend so a no go.
    I feel quite disloyal being critical of her through a questionnaire though.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

SMT may take it seriously, after I left Ofsted visited and one member of staff filled in a bad one, though honest. A particular member of SMT made it known that she was determined to find out who it was in a rather menacing manner. Just for maintaining standards of course, no bullying agenda.

Type it if it's possibly going to be contentious.

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's what I did.........

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We were supposed to return the questionnaire to the office - that made folk suspicious.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At the last Ofsted I just put a shoebox converted into a post box in the staff room.

ValentinoRossi and HelenREMfan like this.
  12. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

In one job, we were asked to hand them in to the Head. She claimed that was what OFSTED has requested. None of us believed her. I handed mine in person to the Lead Inspector just to make sure.

13. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Staff are two faced. Was shocking to see what support staff wrote in a previous inspection. Wicked!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Perhaps what they wrote was their reality and not yours. Just because you disagreed with it doesn't necessarily make it any less true for them.

15. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

My Head was quite miffed with one response from staff but she settled for whinging to Union Reps as opposed to a witch hunt. The only OFSTED action from this appeared to be reporting it to the Head but presumably not the actual form.

16. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

Ours were collected by the office and handed in. I completely trust everyone in the school and had no issue with this.

If I had something to complain about, I feel I should have made my voice heard directly to the head/senior management as soon as I had the issue.

The inspectors certainly do take notice of them as it was commented on in their feedback.

17. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I gave the staff the questionnaire and an envelope in which to seal it. They were then given directly to the inspector. Yes, the inspector did read them and commented about the contents to me.

In my previous school, the head had a tick sheet of who had completed them and we were 'instructed' to tick all of the 'correct' boxes. Seriously, this did happen.

midnight_angel likes this.
  18. enjoyteach

enjoyteach New commenter

As far as I am aware the staff questionnaire will be soon be completed online, was told this at a recent Ofsted Update briefing given by a consultant.

19. Curl123

Curl123 New commenter

We had to put ours in a sealed envelope and had the option to post them. The inspectors paid no attention to them at all.

20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter