1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted says school could be outstanding next time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Dec 8, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I don't understand this.....
    A report in a local newspaper:

Students and staff at X Academy are celebrating after maintaining a ‘good’ rating from Ofsted in a recent short inspection, with inspectors saying there is enough evidence to suggest the school could be ‘outstanding’ in a full inspection.

How can they know that if they have only done a short inspection?
    And surely, if they think the school would be judged outstanding in a full inspection, why wasn't it judged outstanding in a short one?

Aquamarina1234 and Jamvic like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Like any of it is real?

I mean sure... think about it if you want... but it doesn't mean much of anything...

minnie me and Jamvic like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd be happy with that.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They obviously didn't read the small print in the report.

The grading of OFSTED inspections can go up or down.

primarycat likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's a local paper. It is defined by indiscriminate feelgood applied to that which is dubious, commonplace or unlikely to pan out as significant.
    For example the fact that it states that students are celebrating.
    Seriously-what kid goes "Yay! Hurrah! My school might be rated outstanding at the next inspection"? In fact I don't think I actually work with any kids who even know the current OFSTED rating of the school they are in. Or care.
    What actually happened is that two top buttoned year 10 kids on the school council were hauled out of lessons for a photo with some teachers who are popular with management and had to stand there with their thumbs up for the camera. There. "Students and staff are celebrating".
    I imagine the article to be yet another mulitlayered synthesis of superficial happy clappy reporting to please parents and other catchment eyer-uppers, and to divert from a system which is actually completely broken.

And to answer your question, it's semantics
    You assume they said "would" but the article actually says "could"-look again.
    Just like I could become a HeadTeacher. Or a small pompous unicorn, more likely.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Nellyfuf2, MissGeorgi and Laphroig like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It must have been one of the “short” inspections of ‘good’-rated schools which takes place over two days, rather than one, as they did previously.

The principle of such visits is to confirm whether the school deserves to remain ‘good’ or to be marked up or down and the inspectors want to ensure that there is opportunity to gather sufficient evidence while on inspection to confirm that a school remains good under the new 2019 criteria.

Inspectors will still be able to upgrade to a full inspection if they feel a ‘good’ school has got better.

chelsea2 likes this.
  7. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Of course it could be outstanding next week, or requires improvement, it just depends which way the wind is blowing.

Wotton, towncryer and FormosaRed like this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Oi, you're using common sense. So last century. It's all about jobs for the boys/girls, ticking boxes, and actually thinking that some parents are stupid enough to believe that an outfit run by someone who isn't even a teacher might be of more use than letting a random person off the street interrupt a surgeon performing an operation and telling him/her/them how to do the op.

towncryer and FormosaRed like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Its called media hype - selling a school that seems to be on the way up.

towncryer likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Most of the local schools here are failing their inspections and so being forced into academisation. It's quite ruthless.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Jam tomorrow...

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One school quite near here who have always been a bit "up themselves" recently went from good to requires improvement (I can't say why because it might identify the school).

Bet the parents are chuffed.

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

GLENDOWER I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    HOTSPUR Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them?
    (Henry IV pt 1)

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Blast from the past! We did H4(i) at school. I've been clearing out the loft and found my O-level Eng Lit paper. I'd completely forgotten we did The Critic.

mothorchid likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

All my county's secondary schools are academies and have been for years. Plus well over 50% of primaries.
    The results, on the whole, are still poor - as a county, below the national average.