1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ofsted: "Satisfactory" vs "Outstanding"?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by msloops, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hello to anyone who might be able to help me.
    I'm currently doing my NQT year, not all that successfully, in a challenging but ofsted 'outstanding' school. I'm looking for other jobs for September and I've seen one in a 'satisfactory' school. It sounds like the teaching is not all that great in the school but the behaviour of learners is 'good'. It sounds less challenging than my current school in that there are a lot fewer SEN and FSM kids
    Just wondering really:
    -Will it be easier to get a job in a satisfactory school than an outstanding one? (fewer applicants etc? So far I've been mainly graded satisfactory myself)
    -Does there tend to be less, or more pressure on teachers in Satisfactory schools? (if its possible to answer that without generalising too wildly)
    -perhaps I should just stop turning into a person who believes that ofsted reports are the best way of judging a school and just go and visit it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd say it has more to do with staff & pupil relationships which make a school 'good' to work in. After all we are all individuals & one school where I might feel happy working in, with my personality, might send someone else running away as fast as they could.
    Yes looking round a school & assessing whether you'd fit into it is the only certain way. Some 'challenging' schools with supportive staff can sometimes be better to work in than 'demanding', 'outstanding ones' with lots of pressure, for example if you're not the sort to like the high level of paperwork demanded.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely! And then get applying. Whatever it is like, it won't be worse than where you are now, judging from your posts.