1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED questions

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kanddd, Aug 4, 2011.

1. At the last meeting of the Finance and Resource meeting I was elected as chair. The head has told us that he expects an Ofsted visit before Christmas. What concerns me is what will the OFSTED inspectors expect from me. What sort of questions will they ask of me and what should I have knowledge of before they arrive. I have already arranged for a meeting with the bursar, should I meet up with the head as well? Any advice?

2. At the last meeting of the Finance and Resource meeting I was elected as chair. The head has told us that he expects an Ofsted visit before Christmas. What concerns me is what will the OFSTED inspectors expect from me. What sort of questions will they ask of me and what should I have knowledge of before they arrive. I have already arranged for a meeting with the bursar, should I meet up with the head as well? Any advice?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I doubt OFSTED will want anything from you, unless perhaps the Chair and Vice Chair are both absent on the day ...

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed - they're in for so short a time these days that seeing chairs of committees is most unlikely. Actually, I don't recall it happening ever when they came in for four or five days - and I'm talking large secondary schools with 15 inspectors in. They'd see the chair of governors - that was all.

5. Thanks

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

They may look for evidence of things by reading the approved minutes of meetings. I've never heard of a non main Chair being involved in an OFSTED. After all with no notice and short notice inspections the governors may have work commitments or be on holiday etc...

7. Patrickbob

Patrickbob New commenter

Hi again
    I agree with the other advice that you will be unlikely to face a team of Ofsted inspectors grilling you on your role, but for interest, you may like to look at some guidance that Ofsted provide: http://clerktogovernors.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/what-might-ofsted-inspectors-ask-you-about/
    The grade criteria, and therefore some aspects of the inspection focus, are due to change once the new framework comes into force in January 2012, but the range of sample questions for the current framework may help you anticipate the way the inspection of governance would go, if Ofsted came knocking this coming term.
    Another document you may wish to acquaint yourself with is the new Schools Financial Value Standard (the replacement for FMSiS) - http://clerktogovernors.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/sfvs-schools-financial-value-standard-to-be-in-place-by-march-2013/