1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted questionnaire on well-being in the teaching profession:- 2 days left

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gigaswitch1, Dec 1, 2018.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Last 2 days to fill it in , will it help I doubt it who knows.

Link

Emerging findings so far
    • 28% of respondents report low well-being at work, 26% medium, 35% high and 11% report very high well-being at work.
    • 31% of teachers report low well-being at work compared with 18% for senior leaders.
    • 25% of all respondents have been absent from work due to health problems caused or made worse by work, excluding accidents.
    • 76% of teachers report that their job impacts negatively on their mental health and 60% report that it impacts negatively on their physical health.
    • 62% of all respondents believe that teaching is not valued by society.
    • The top three factors that affect respondents’ well-being positively at work are children/pupils, colleagues and the support they receive from them.
    • In contrast, the most frequently mentioned factors that negatively influence occupational well-being are behaviour (both pupils’ challenging behaviour and inconsistent behaviour management by colleagues), workload and marking

2. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Thanks for the link, I've filled it in.

Not sure about the quality of the survey though, our school was missing from the list on page 2.
    Gave the name of a random school within 20 miles of ours, hope they don't get it in the neck unfairly.

3. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Oh silly me, I forgot, FE doesn't count.

Thanks for reminding me Ofsted :)

BetterNow likes this.
  4. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

Can you be identified from the survey? Will schools be notified?! I've filled it in but I'm afraid to submit it as I'd be easily recognised from the personal details I've entered at the beginning of the survey.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Seems the vast majority of teachers cannot access the survey despite an apparent open invitiation from Ofsted.

I don't believe the interim results on well-being are at all trustworthy

6. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Also you are asked to name which school you teach in. Not doing that, small primary school so not hard to narrow down.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  7. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

I know, that's how I feel too. I've filled it all in but am too scared to submit it!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Likewise my school was also not on the list. Despite clicking secoindary all the schools in the list were primary. Typical OFSTED, couldn't organise a **** in a brothel

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just picked a school at random, sorry!

BetterNow and lardylegs like this.
  10. zannar

zannar New commenter

My school also not on list

lardylegs likes this.
  11. zannar

zannar New commenter

Just sent a message to ofsted stating that I was unable to contribute as my school was not on the list. Doubt it will make any difference but needed to let them know. I don’t think it will be noted but at least I tried.

lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  12. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

How can they expect honest answers when they make it so easy to identify you? Feels like they want a better picture than the reality so that they can announce that things aren't really that bad.

13. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

I can't access it as my school isn't listed and I can't go any further.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Just picked a random school as mine wasn't on the list. Oops, as gave very blunt answers.

BetterNow and Mrsmumbles like this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not sure how I'd be with finer points of etiquette there myself!

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

According to their twitter feed, they notified a randomly selected number of schools to take part and notified those schools. However, that does't guarantee that all teachers in those schools will have been informed by management/admin so the survey is skewed and probably worthless, just like most Ofsted data.

BetterNow likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

https://twitter.com/Ofstednews/status/1068791993659269120?s=19

18. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

So, just to be clear;
    OFSTED organise a survey that is only open to selected schools but tweet all teachers to complete it.
    The survey is about workload and it's impact on health.
    They send out a reminder on Saturday with a deadline of Sunday night.

This must be why they are so respected across the profession.

BetterNow and Mrsmumbles like this.
  19. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I know some school which are on the list and the staff knew nothing about the survey!

BetterNow likes this.
  20. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

My schools on the list but I knew nothing about the survey until I saw this thread