1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED - previous planning, will they want it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

The dreaded phonecall came today, and the news that OFSTED will be in school at the end of this week. One of my colleagues asked the head whether she should have all of her planning for the term with her and the head said yes. I have to confess that not all of my planning has been written down over the last couple of weeks (tut tut, yes I know I'm a bad girl).
    I have been through several inspections and have never been asked for any planning other than the lesson which is being observed. Has any-one else had to provide any planning for previous weeks? I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying to "back plan" or just brazen it out if necessary.
    Ideas? Suggestions? Comments (but not about me being a cr#p teacher for not having my lesson plans in triplicate)?

2. Wotworklifebalance

The dreaded phonecall came today, and the news that OFSTED will be in school at the end of this week. One of my colleagues asked the head whether she should have all of her planning for the term with her and the head said yes. I have to confess that not all of my planning has been written down over the last couple of weeks (tut tut, yes I know I'm a bad girl).
    I have been through several inspections and have never been asked for any planning other than the lesson which is being observed. Has any-one else had to provide any planning for previous weeks? I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying to "back plan" or just brazen it out if necessary.
    Ideas? Suggestions? Comments (but not about me being a cr#p teacher for not having my lesson plans in triplicate)?

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

They only saw current week's plan for me. Didn't even ask to see previous week of same unit.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say brazen it out myself...it is the sort of thing I would do.

Just have super duper plans for the lessons themselves and excellent ones for this whole week.

No one will ask for more.

5. In the last Ofsted I suffered through they randomly selected some planning files from staff and went through them.

6. Wotworklifebalance

I was feeling good til I got to Pink flip flop :(

7. just had Ofsted. Only looked at plans for that current lesson they observerd. Unless there was an issue with planning identified on your previous ofsted report, don't worry and just ensure the plans for when they come are top notch.

8. Last Ofsted we had they didn't look at any lesson plans at all - much more interested in what was happening <u>in</u> the lesson.

9. They didnt look at any planning on our last inspection - not even the lessons they observed [​IMG]

10. Wotworklifebalance

psycho jo and kildonan I like you.
    [​IMG]

11. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

We had ofsted just the other week. They only looked at planning for the lessons they observed, they didn't ask teachers about anything at all or anything extra. You should be fine with just this weeks.

12. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Sorry to disappoint you but they randomly flicked through my planning folder and then looked in the books to see what was actually produced in the lessons.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Serves you right for having it to hand then!!

14. The White Paper from last November clearly states:
    2.55 "Similarly, we support the idea that teachers should have a plan for their lessons.
    But that doesn?t mean imposing a centralised planning template on schools. So
    we will make clear that neither the Government nor Ofsted require written lesson
    plans, let alone in a particular format. "
    So why oh why do we all have planning coming out of our ears?
    And why are Ofsted still asking to see it?

15. Been through two ofsteds, never asked for previous planning. Just do this weeks and you will be fine.
    Ofsted only care about progress in that particular lesson, is the L.O clear, are the children activtely engaged? Have you differentiated appropiately, challenged the more able etc. You should concentrate on that.
    Don't worry about past planning. P.s mark your books if you haven't done that. Both times books were checked, especially literacy and numeracy ones.

16. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

School policy is to have planning folder "easily accessible at all times"

17. Brazen it out, I say. Had the same problem myself last year. They weren't remotely interested in previous planning. Dazzle them with your teaching and you'll be fine [​IMG]

18. Just finished one Tuesday. No planning looked at except a brief glance at some lesson plans, bno books looked at just year 6.Only interested in what the children were doing,did they know what they were doing and what progress was made in that lesson.

19. Sorry last post reads badly but brain dead after the visit.

20. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Well? Did they?? I have been waiting with baited breath!