1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted observation in Art - year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Massey118, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi I am an NQT and have just been told I am being observed on monday by Ofsted teaching Art - The panic starts. Does anyone have any advice?
    I have been linking my art with my topic ancient egyptians rather than following the QCA, will they expect me to teach a one of lesson using QCA or should I teach a lesson linking to my topic.
    If anyone has been observed in art before by them, I would like to hear how it was.

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

As long as ofsted can see progression within the unit of work and in the lesson then they will be fine. Select an objective from the national curriculum. You could look at mixing colours for effect and create a sunset background for silhouette pyramids or take a photograph of each child and print it off in black and white. The children then cut the photo in half vertically, then stick half on a piece of paper. They then complete the other half of the face- but if you did this and asked them to create a pharoh's head dress on the half they are drawing then that would create a nice effect- lesson ojective could relate to sketching and observational drawing. Show the children some pictures of pharohs in your introduction. Or you could show them some egyptian artefacts and askthe children to make observational drawings and ask the children to mix different shades of pencil crayon to create the colours. Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

3. Thanks
    Im debating with the idea og getting them to look at artefacts, linking with archaeology and history and then choosing one to make an observational drawing.
    Or giving them a role of an archaeologist - they will look at artefacts, I will then give them a piece of one and they will try to reconstruct it. Discussing hos archaeologists often find pieces of artefacts and have to try to draw them as they were before.

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

You also need to consider what skill you want the children to have learned. In observational drawing have drawing pencils, in a previous lesson have the children make a grid and record what the different tones look like and
    what effects they can get if they are drawing lines or shading. 6b 5b 4b etc. That way they have something they can refer to when deciding what pencil to choose and you can remind them to use it, which helps to reference previous learning.

Remember rubbers are allowed.

Use viewfinders if needed, give black and white photos if you don't use artefacts.

Display the lesson objective and vocabulary.
    Consider how you can differentiate the lesson or stretch your gifted art students.
    Use self-assessment.
    Have a good plenary, not one that is just sharing work.