1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted notice

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrsBridgewater, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

I've posted this on the Ofsted thread, but it is very quiet there! I've also done a quick search on the internet which doesn't provide much in the way of answers (there were apparently 40 'no notice' inspections planned for last year, but I can't find anything else). I suspect that the school are using this as a way to keep us on our toes, but I find it quite stressful to be told every morning that Ofsted could arrive any minute!

My school are saying that Ofsted now only give 1 hour's notice of coming in. I thought it was still the day before (and as such if you got to Wednesday afternoon you were safe for the week).
    What is the general rule?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not post this on Headteachers, @MrsBridgewater ?

This is actually not a general help forum, but a forum for help with the forums, if you get what I mean!

Best wishes

3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

In general Ofsted will call the day before. This is true of both S5 inspections or S8 - which is the new regime if you were good last time. This means if you were expecting a S5, you will receive a call by Wednesday lunchtime, Thursday for the 1 day S8 inspections.

HOWEVER they could come unannounced if they think it is necessary. Usually this will be because there is a concern around safeguarding or behaviour.

The best advice however is to try not to worry and just 'keep calm and carry on'. We were expecting a call for the whole of last year and it never came. One school near us was 'good' in 2010 and is still waiting.

Try not to lose sleep.

4. Schoolcoachguru

Schoolcoachguru New commenter

According to this, it's 15 minutes before arriving!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/being-inspected-as-a-maintained-school-or-academy

Notice of an inspection

The school will be notified of its inspection at around midday on the working day before the start of the inspection. Ofsted can inspect any school without notice where judged appropriate. In no notice inspections like these, the lead inspector will normally phone the school about 15 minutes before arriving.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It says it's 15 minutes for 'No Notice' inspections (where there are concerns over Behaviour etc), otherwise for normal s5 Inspections it's the the previous day. As your quote says it's normally around midday the previous day (our experience is you get the call between 12.00 and 12.30pm) although the Inspection Handbook says: "Ofsted will normally contact the school by telephone to announce the inspection during the afternoon of the working day before the inspection."

Schoolcoachguru likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Perhaps, they're just waiting for the local Travelodge or Premier Inn to have a special group rate offer so they can hit a few schools in the same area and save a bit of money on travel and accommodation.

7. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Wouldn't surprise me at all.