1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ofsted next week! really worried

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ReceptionTeacher1234, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hello, I have a reception class, who have yet to start school full time. Currently they are on a staggered intake and have only done 3 mornings or afternoons each. We have found out that we have ofsted next tuesday, this will be the first day that the children start full time so I am really worried that things will not look very well organised.
    I need to try and think of a couple of short/ engaging 5 or 10 minute activities that I can try in a whole class situation. Does anyone know any fun number or pse type activities that will be really engaging? We have not started any formal teaching yet so it is a really difficult time to be inspected. So far I have decided to do some number songs and maybe an activity with a puppet but I am really unsure what to do.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hello, I have a reception class, who have yet to start school full time. Currently they are on a staggered intake and have only done 3 mornings or afternoons each. We have found out that we have ofsted next tuesday, this will be the first day that the children start full time so I am really worried that things will not look very well organised.
    I need to try and think of a couple of short/ engaging 5 or 10 minute activities that I can try in a whole class situation. Does anyone know any fun number or pse type activities that will be really engaging? We have not started any formal teaching yet so it is a really difficult time to be inspected. So far I have decided to do some number songs and maybe an activity with a puppet but I am really unsure what to do.
    Thanks in advance

3. I would suggest making it clear on your planning sheet that it is the children's first full day, in case the OFSTED inspector doesn't realise (you never know!) Make your carpet activity objectives mainly PSED: about sitting, listening and taking part in a group. Number rhymes and songs are a good option as the children will hopefully be engaged and joining in, and you could use a puppet to model how to join in and to 'watch' children to see who is doing well. For a PSE activity you could try a LOLA activity, involving a small cuddly toy who is very shy and lives in a box. She only comes out when it is very quiet. She will come out when children are sitting well in a circle. They can say hello to her if they are gentle. Lola comes out and each child says hello as she is passed around the circle. This is best in a small group, so they don't have to wait, and you can make it more challenging by asking the children to tell Lola something.OFSTED look for pupil progress, so aim for them to make progress from not contributing to being able to contribute or from contributing without consideration for others to being able to wait their turn.Good luck.

4. Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will definately try that activity as it is nice and short and should keep their attention. I will have 22 children in, do you think that will be ok for such a large group and no TA support?

5. I think that will work if you keep the pace going. Think abou any children who might not be able to cope with the sitting still element and have them next to you. Lola could want the children to do little challenges at intervals round the circle eg Everyone jump, hop, turn around etc. This would keep all children involved. Why no TA?

6. Could you have a dry run of a circle time the day before, to gauge how the children will be? By the way, I am in nursery with a nursery brain. Check the activities are challenging enough! Hopefully, someone else will post!

7. Just to say good luck, sure you will be fine!

8. Hi
    I was in a very similar situation to you around 3 yrs ago. Ofsted in on chns first full day - I barely knew all their names!
    I read the story 'The Rainbow Fish' We then talked about what was special about us by passing a rainbow fish toy around the circle in a small group. I left some 'scales' in the writing area for chn to write their names on/draw themselves etc. Our inspector was very understanding and seemed to be looking at relationships/how chn were setlling etc rather than learning in the 'academic' sense.
    I think in some ways it was easier than inspections I've had later in the year where the inspectors expectations are very different

Good Luck!
    xx

9. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi ReceptionTeacher1234
    We had Ofsted last year at this time - my children were still part time and I had some Year 1s too. I agree with the other posts:
    • keep it pacy
    • Inspectors wanted to see children doing something more by the end of the session
    • I did do a dummy run of a story and drama session and it went brilliantly so did it again with Ofsted and it didn't go nearly as well - different children different responses.
    Good luck.
    SB

10. Thanks so much for all of your responses. I will keep it very simple and just hope it goes ok. Will let you know how it goes [​IMG]

11. Hope it went ok, can't believe they've come so early.