1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED - Literacy Co-ordinator

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by vnicholls, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Has anyone recently been interviewed by OFSTED in their role as Literacy co-ordinator. I would like to know what to expect as I am relatively new to the post.

2. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Was interviewed in January this year as Lit co-ord. These were the main things.
    Chn knowing their targets.
    Standards thro school and how did I know. Tracking progress etc.
    How was SATs data used.
    Assessment for Learning
    How we are finding new framework.
    Extending the more able.
    Supporting EAL and SEN

It passed quite quickly and Inspector didn't look at any of my files but did expect me to know subject quite well. Ours was a 1 day Inspection so maybe more intense.

Hope that helps. Sounds scary but it was better than I'd imagined and the Maths co-ord who didn't know an answer, was allowed to go away and return with relevant evidence.

Have fun!!!!

3. Had OFSTED just before Feb half term and although I am the maths co-ordinator thought I'd let you know how things happened with us!
    Myself, the literacy co-ordinator and the science co-ordinator had a 20 minute joint meeting with the lead inspector and another inspector. We were asked very broad questions - nothing too specific at all. Our files weren't looked at and they didn't want to know about action plans or data analysis or anything - even though I was desperate for them to look at them!!
    It really wasn't too bad - just remember Ofsted are now checking that the SMT know what's going on in school - so if you don't know the answers to questions, don't worry. You can only answer honestly about what you know you have been doing.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Julie

4. what about if your school doesnt have a lit coordinator...! our one left at xmas and hasnt been replaced, oh and writing is our huge focus this year because there has been a drop in writing results...!!!!!

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The three things they tend to ask (had three inspections in the last 12 months!):

* what are standards? how do you know (monitoring, analysis of data etc).
    * what are you doing about areas of weakness?
    * what impact have you had on the subject?

Post 3 - the HT will be accountable for Literacy if the HT has not delegated that role to someone else. They will ask him/her.