1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED lesson query English but not writing for a change!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo77ee, Jan 20, 2012.

1. OFSTED like to see inspiring and wizzy lessons which are demonstrating that all children are making progress. This is easier in some lesson than others of course.

my question is: what would the best way be to show that children are making progress in a 'phase 1' type lesson for English i.e exploring a text and reading/understanding/reading detective style lesson?

And

if you are doing a speaking and listening focus how can you measure progress?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

:)

2. OFSTED like to see inspiring and wizzy lessons which are demonstrating that all children are making progress. This is easier in some lesson than others of course.

my question is: what would the best way be to show that children are making progress in a 'phase 1' type lesson for English i.e exploring a text and reading/understanding/reading detective style lesson?

And

if you are doing a speaking and listening focus how can you measure progress?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

:)

3. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Some general hints and ideas:
    Language use and application from children. I would AfL how they would describe a picture or something. If it was a lesson where we were acting out a scene, I would teach the drama convention and then the type of language for description. Progress, children applying language to build up the use. TA and Teacher input to different groups on language types / ideas expresssions. Applications in role, seen by class.
    Reading lessons (exploring texts). AfL terms at start that you will use. Teach the ones that they don't. Can they find new examples. TA and Teacher input on other examples / expectations for groups. Class to work towards creating a checklist of language. Possible application, create own examples.
    Hope that's of use and inbox me if you want a more thorough breakdown of ideas.

4. Thanks very much - thats been a real help :)