1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED Lesson for KS3 Indoor Athletics - Help!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by mickey1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hi,
    We have an Ofsted inspection on Monday and I have a Yr9 mixed sexed group - low ability. I am teaching indoor athletics and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I have completed running activities and standing broad jump so far. They are a very lethargic group, weak or disruptive. Running activities were a nightmare with them.
    Obviously, the new framework is in place and OFSTED will be looking for pupil progress and differentiation. I am really struggling with what to do and dread being observed with this group as its hard enough just to get them to do something.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Mickey I would suggest relay and speed walking, due to the group and indoor space. This ensures that everyone is realtively close in regards ot their speed, it also makes it easier to introduce the aspect of relay change over.
    I have done this lesson before especially with set 2 classes and it proves to be very successful and is very effective in terms of showing studnet progress.
    Start with walking technique - one foot always on the floor, encourage use of the arms, little races and then team races with a baton but without going through the basic change over. Introduce the change over and early movement, some good students will move onto this by themslves and can then demo before helping others. You can then finish with bigger walking style relay races.
    I hope that helps and you find my advice useful, and best of luck for the lesson