1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED judgements of small schools

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Well. They've been and gone. It seems that we can't be more than satisfactory because they base their judgements on KS2 results over the last 3 years ... great we all think becasue that helps iron out the differences between years, we've all had that very odd year group who skew all the stats.
    The trouble is that in our case that means that they base their judgements on the attainment of just 8 pupils. Now I'm no statistician but I do know that you cannot make any statistically valid judgements on such a small sample. One of those 8 only joined us in January last year before taking his SATs in May. We can take no credit, or blame, for his level 4s. We were also judged to be failing our boys because last year only 33% of boys gained a L5 while the other 66% gained a L4 or below. Yup, all of our Year 6s last year were boys.The one who gained a L5, the one that we picked up in January and the one who moved to us (his 3rd school) in Y4 when he was a L1.No credit given for getting him up 2 levels in 2 years because his achievement was still below age-related expectations.
    We cannot, it seems, win. Looking at the next couple of years our current Y4s will be even worse. Again we have only 3 boys. One is extremely bright, already working at L4, the other 2 are both SEN, one just L2 and the other still working at L1. There is no way that either of them will achieve L4, let alone L5, in 2 years despite or because of anything that we do. One of them has severe learning difficulties because of his mother's drug abuse while she was pregnant and her subsequent neglect and failure to stimulte him as a babe. It is not that we don't care, it is not that we have given up, it is just that he does not have the intellectual capability to make that amount of progress in that amount of time.
    I feel completely disheartened. Surely there should be discretion when looking at the results of small schools? Or better yet a much better system of assessing ALL schools.

2. The whole thing is a joke really. We had similar problems in the small school I worked in. It didn't matter to the inspectors that we were teaching some severely 'damaged children' or that they had made huge leaps in progress in so many ways. The children didn't fit into their little box of robots.

3. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

The entire Ofsted inspection system is flawed, subjective and not worth the huge amount of heartache and navel-gazing by dedicated professionals that it creates. Please don't feel that a 'Satisfactory' rating is any reflection on you or your school. The only people who truly think it is an accurate reflection of the school are Mumsnet members, and a couple of governors I know. I know that my school and my teaching has improved nearly every year for the last 5 years. I don't need Ofsted to say it is or isn't. Nor do you. (not grammatically correct, I know).

4. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Thanks for your support Guys. I know that you are right but it is still sooo frustrating to know that no matter what we do it is unlikely that we will fit our little square pegs in to their round holes. Grrrr! [The mumsnet comment made me smile :)]