1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted judgements: are they a cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 21, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Supporters of free schools have raised concerns about the accuracy of Ofsted judgements after research showed that some primary schools given top ratings failed to meet the national average for key stage 2 attainment.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/doubts-cast-over-accuracy-ofsted-research-claims

Are your surprised by the ‘shocking’ findings revealed by the New Schools Network report?

Is it time to introduce an alternative to Ofsted inspections, and if so what would be an effective way to inspect schools or measure their performance?

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

OFSTED judgements (if such a term can be considered appropriate) have always been a concerned. It is simply a case of degree.

OFSTED needs to go. Whatever good it may (or may not) have done in the past has definitely been replaced by a considerable amount of damage it is doing now and will continue to do.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Not sure why the supporters of free schools would be concerned, after all Ofsted recently announced that new free schools and academies would not be inspected in the first three years of their life. Which is all rather convenient, if you ask me.

petenewton and HelenREMfan like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's to be expected that the NSN will talk down the schools against whom it has set itself up in competition, whatever the facts.

snowyhead and Mangleworzle like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Schools are now in competition, any means of making a school appear better is fair game, expect academy chains to get in-house PR sometime soon.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Fell off my chair moment.

Ofsted says the research is flawed as 50% cannot be above average by laws of maths and thus whole idea is bunkum.

But, but, but, but.. I have so many buts about other flawed Ofsted derived mathematics and ideas that I am rendered speechless. It's as if Michael Gove himself said, you know, I've changed my mind. Academies and free schools are not a good idea.

petenewton likes this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, Ofsted judgements are a cause for concern! The judgement is made long before any inspector crosses the threshold of the school and it is very difficult to change the mindset (good or bad) of that judgement, based on the data they have looked at.

Everyone knows hopeless the system is, how damaging, how detrimental to the children it purports to be supporting in having an effective education. I've seen so many unjustified judgements, both positive and negative, that I cannot imagine how anyone can take them seriously at all.

I have noticed though, that parents are beginning to take other things into consideration when making their own judgements about schools and are relying more on their own instincts, rather than the written word in a snapshot report.

petenewton likes this.