1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted judgements and headteachers - query

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by anarchy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. I was under the impression that the inspectors didn't tell the head who got what judgement only that there were, for example, two outstanding, two good one satisfactory.

Yet our head claimed to know the specifics. What is the rule, does anyone know?

2. In our recent inspection, many of the lessons were observed alongside a member of the school SLT so they would know there.
    Hadn't heard that heads weren't told. What would the purpose of this be? Heads would need to know in order to say whether what the inspectors saw as a true reflection of what was going on in the classroom over a greater period of time. Also the inspectors would be able to draw comparisions on the observation grades of the SLT - I am aware that each and every lesson is different.

3. I was led to believe that they could only say there were so many 'good' and so many 'etc' and not give individual judgements to the head. You go for your feedback in private.

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

In our inspection just before half term, there were joint observations along with joint feedback. The head and the deputy were aware of all judgements made and which lessons they were about.

5. Is that because of the new judgement criteria?

6. no one

no one New commenter

As far as I am aware, grades of lessons are always shared with the head. I work in primary and at the last inspection, during the phone call with the lead inspector, I was asked to grade all teachers. During the inspection, part of the process was to check whether their judgments agreed with mine. This was done to ensure that as a school our self evaluation was secure.
    In the old days, heads used to receive print outs with each individual teacher and their grades.
    Why wouldn't they share them? Surely there should be no great surprises for the headteacher.

7. Well, thanks for your responses.

8. In my experience the inspector feeds back to the head, explaining what has happened in obeservations without saying who, but it becomes very obvious to the head who they are talking about. For example there may only be one teacher of French and so it can be worked out easily. Our head was able to do this very accurately about everyone in the school who was observed.

9. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

If I was a Head, I would want to know what the judgements were, and about who. A good HT would have their own judgements, and would use the inspection as only (a small, passing) part of their overall judgements.

10. The judgements are supposd to be about lessons not teachers