1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted?Is there any room for wearing red shoes in English schools?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's got me thinking.
    What would Ofsted say if they were to talk in now and see teachers not adopting a consistent shoe-colour policy in our school?
    The head sometimes wears red shoes. I wonder now if they're overly agressive and might be seen as threatening, especially to EYFS children who are almost on eye level with teachers' feet.
    Should schools adopt a green shoe policy?
    Have any schools not read a non-conclusive study yet still enforced such a policy simply because it's occurred to someone that red might be bad?
    It's a hot potato alright.

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Not just a hot potato.
    I think the wearing of red shoes is the elephant in the room.
    Especially if red shoes = (as they say) no knickers!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

As per my contribution to the other thread, in a similar vein I now propose to purchase a collection of shoes in an assortment of colours to see if there are any perceptible effects on children's feeling of self-worth and confidence.

( any excuse for shoe shopping[​IMG])

4. I thought green shoes were already in, your suggestion is a bit late. Don't you wear a green tie? I had to remove my red one, in case I came over as an aggressive teacher, that and the bull in the neighbouring field was getting angry.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

People with shiny shoes should not never wear no knickers.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And in the interests of ensuring the data you collect is statistically valid, I feel I should repeat the experiment in my school.

Do you think school will pay for the shoes? Could I get credits for an MA?

7. Now I feel terrible. I have scarred children for life by wearing red shoes. Please don't tell ofsted. I promise to go and buy some safe, neutral shoes taking account of any children with colour blindness.

8. Oh, oh, oh... shoes! I'm in. I don't mind undertaking some rigorous and robust research in the interests of gaining a better understanding of the effect of teachers' shoe colour on pupils' self esteem.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have red shoes, red boots, purple shoes and green shoes anything apart from black. The children often comment on them.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

At my Grammar school we were not allowed to wear patent leather shoes in case our knickers were reflected in them.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

which would have been solved by not wearing any [​IMG]

12. Would these red sole Christian Louboutin shoes be acceptable?
    [​IMG]

13. Ooh. I'd forgotten my pair of red boots.

A little bit too high, too pointy to walk around in all day.

I shall wear 'em Monday. Hah!

14. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I hope I'm not scarring the children for life when I wear my peace n love shoes.
    [​IMG]

15. Msz

[​IMG]
    my class love these

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

The thing about red shoes is that you have to dance in them until you drop dead.
    Maybe we should have a Red Shoe Monday just to illustrate the point!

17. I'm in - I think if we collaborate Minnie we can justify it towards MaST (study on data handling?).
    I have been debating on buying these - now I have the perfect excuse.
    [​IMG]

18. Msz

are we doing the film [​IMG]or the fairytale?

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sh*t.
    I didn't think this through, did I?

Dear Becktonboy,

Sorry for starting another shoe thread up. I didn't do it on purpose.

20. You are taking the **** right?