1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED is coming

Discussion in 'Governors' started by cherrytree, May 8, 2012.

1. cherrytree

cherrytree New commenter

Our Chair won't be at our large secondary school when OFSTED comes this Thursday and Friday. I'm reasonably up to speed with what's going on at school but what as Vice Chair should I be ready to answer? We've had a good bit of training onOFSTED but I want to do my best for everyone concerned. Thank you

2. cherrytree

cherrytree New commenter

Our Chair won't be at our large secondary school when OFSTED comes this Thursday and Friday. I'm reasonably up to speed with what's going on at school but what as Vice Chair should I be ready to answer? We've had a good bit of training onOFSTED but I want to do my best for everyone concerned. Thank you

3. R13

R13 New commenter

Hang on - is it all about convincing Ofsted to produce a good inspection report or about raising standards in schools?
    . . . .
    now you're just being silly!!

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Both isn't it? They're not opposites. Doesn't any governing body want to demonstrate to Ofsted how good a job the school is doing in raising standards?

5. R13

R13 New commenter

I think most Governing Bodies are genuinely interested in raising standards
    I think OFSTED is fundamentally involved in serving their political masters to try to look good to the elctorate

6. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Actually I don't think I am. IMHO there is a real danger that if Ofsted visit and do have the wool pulled over their eyes people can become complacent (dare I say even arrogant) and closed to improvements that are necessary in order to raise standards.
    We all know Ofsted inspections are stressful for all involved and that governors cannot possibly be expected to know everything about how a school operates in practice. But (speaking from experience) there are times when challneging Ofsted inspecions can work for the real educational benefit of the children at the school (rather than simply the adults). As governors we should not lose sight of this simple but IMO very fundamental and important point.

7. R13

R13 New commenter

I agree with your point on a general level grrmummy but whilst there are times when a challenging OFSTED can benefit education I'd also say the majority of Inspections do not aid the quality of education in any way I'm afraid

8. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

But the point is they can.
    And if this makes a difference to the life outcomes of just one child, I personally feel Ofsted inspections are worth it.
    What is the alternative? Not all GB's are good and if (seemingly) everyone closes ranks to protect the adults in a school what opportunity do children have to achieve their potential if they are denied equality of opportunity in the first place? And what are the real priorities of a GB? To protect the reputation of a school at all costs or to safeguard and promote the educational interests of the children? There shouldn't be any difference between these two basic objectives but we are all products of our experience and no doubt this shapes how (and why) we see things differently.
    [​IMG]

9. R13

R13 New commenter

Crispness - I think OFSTED should not be politically biased,
    I also think we do need an Inspection system and schools that aren't good enough should be found out and something should be done BUT I don't think that OFSTED should be the puppet of a politician trying to appear tough.

For what it's worth OFSTED in 3 inspections running have deemed my worth as a Head as Outstanding - I'm just staying my work wouldn't have been any different without it and others are attacked by virtue of achieving decent results in difficult circumstances

10. Well, I have to take a contrary position. If the taxpayers are paying for it, then I have no problem about it reflect their will. It's very simple really.

11. cherrytree

cherrytree New commenter

Well it's happened and obviously I can't say much but we're very happy. In the end there were five of us who met the inspector who was very efficient and pleasant. Our GB is quite a feisty one with plenty of expertise inside and outside education and we all had plenty to say. Thank you for all the support on here. I really appreciated it.