1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted inspector questionning

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ditwee, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Is it acceptable for an Ofsted inspector to ask me, a governor who is an ex-teacher, after I explained that I used to be a teacher, about whether I left teaching on good terms, or some words to that effect?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

In my experience they can be as unpleasant as they bloody well like.

ditwee and dunnocks like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

They are allowed to say anything, and ask anything, as far as I know. I could give examples, but don't want to be too recognisable....some pregnancy related questions and comments have been down right nasty.

4. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Which indeed he was. Do I have grounds for making a complaint about his enquiry, which I believe was aimed at disparaging my ability to understand the breadth of the current curriculum? I understand that complaints have to be submitted straight away.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

speak to you chair of governors, or head

6. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Chair is brand new. I am the oldest and the longest serving governor. I have never experienced this before in any of the Ofsteds I have been through as either teacher or governor. I will speak to the Chair anyway, but I was hoping Ofsted inspectors have their own professional standards, but I cannot find any online.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

speak to them anyway.. and hang around a bit, some better informed people might come by later on.

ditwee likes this.
  8. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

How many inspectors were in school, was this person leading the inspection? I would have asked to speak to whoever was leading the inspection at the time and explained that you felt this comment was inappropriate. It is doubtful that formal action would be taken but I would expect a word to be shared about what constitutes an offensive comment.

If you really want to pursue it, then ask Ofsted for a copy of their complaints procedure regarding Inspectors.

9. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Anything you want to complain about is meant to be raised before the inspectors leave the building, so they have a chance to respond. After that, I believe only the Head can raise a formal complaint. And to be honest, even when you have a bucket load of evidence with regard to unprofessional conduct by inspectors, I don't know something like your situation would result in the complaint being upheld. :(

10. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

There was just one inspector, and from his entire mannerism and attitude I did not wish to jeopardise his eventual judgement of the school by discussing it with him. There were several other comments from him which were equally personal and offensive. I have been through several ofsted inspections in different roles and I was literally shocked by his questioning.

11. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I don't know on what grounds I can complain, as my issue is not with the grading, and this appears to be the only grounds upon which you can make a complaint. My issue is with his questions and how he spoke to me.

12. cornflake

You can complain about professional conduct. However, as indicated, I had a wealth of evidence from a rather large and diverse group of people. It still wasn't upheld.

13. cornflake

From the OFSTED complaints page.... my italics

>>You can complain about an Ofsted inspection report if you’re a school, childcare provider or other institution inspected by Ofsted and you think there was a problem with:

• the inspection process
    • how the inspection was conducted, for example the behaviour of an inspector
    • the outcome of the inspection, including the report

14. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Thanks cornflake. I will take it further, even if it is unlikely to be successful.

15. cornflake

Good luck. I think that is the right approach - as you never know if there have been other complaints of a similar nature before. And if no-one ever says, how will it ever change?

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

From what you've said I don't think you can complain, not as an individual governor. The quoted extract from Ofsted complaint states that you can complain if you are the school who has been inspected. The governing body, as the accountable body, can complain. Individual governors can't unless it is a complaint on behalf of the governing body formally authorised by them.

And TBH what you said in post 1 doesn't sound offensive or grounds for a complaint to me. I've been through Ofsted complaints procedure twice and where it's your word against inspector with no other evidence they just say it's impossible to determine what actually happened when there's a clash of evidence so they can't take it any further.

Were you a teacher at your school? In which case it's not a wholly unreasonable question. It's not a great question but not so unreasonable that it justifies a complaint.

harsh-but-fair and Pomz like this.
  17. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

If you complain or query a judgement you will be put in special measures. That was a threat made.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Who made the threat? If it was the inspector inspecting your school you should definitely have complained. If you had sufficient evidence that inspector would probably have been sacked for Gross Misconduct. It's not true.

Did you personally actually hear it said, hear those words used?

Pomz likes this.
  19. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

In contrast to the above posters I'd actually be quite happy with OFSTED asking why people leave teaching.

Then again they'd probably not be happy with the responses they'd get.:(

20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Never having been part of an Ofsted inspection I would have asked why he was asking. Depending on the answer I would either comply or ask what relevance it has to the inspection.

chelsea2 likes this.