1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED inspection this week and told I wont be observed! Why?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by zinzan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

A good inspector will ask if there are any sensitivities - recent bereavements, births, disciplinary factors and make reasonable allowances - in order to get a representative sample of the pupils experience. Not quite sure of your point. It seems you have got what you wanted after a sensible conversation and now resent it?

2. A good inspector? Who's to judge what a 'good' inspector is? If there are 'good' inspectors, does that mean there are bad inspectors? If so, a bad inspector could be judging a previously deemed good teacher! It really is a mickey mouse outfit.

3. Ok "El", every organisation has good and "bad" employees but apart from:
    Shadowing experienced inspectors
    Extensive inspector training
    Rigorous performance management
    Separate line & pastoral management
    Quality assessment on-site during inspection
    360 feedback between inspectors after every inspection (and if anything negative is mentioned this is dealt with via PM)
    Analysing post-inspection surveys from Heads after inspection to identify any weaknesses in individuals' inspection technique (again dealt with via PM)
    What would YOU do?

4. I have absolutely no idea what I would do, as I don't do it. Just because I criticise the status quo it does not mean my argument is any less valid because I don't what I would do. I can criticise the music of Take That, but I wouldn't suggest that I could get up on stage and perform any better.

I like the way you validate the post-inspection analysis by simply stating that it is done. Who does it, and for whom, and what criteria is used?

5. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

I Your argument is valid of course. I suppose the question is 'should teachers be left alone to get on with it.......or not"?

6. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Although we have rather strayed from the original question

7. Hi,
    Not quite the same but I work part time covering non contact time for members of SLT in our primary school. During our recent Ofsted I was observed once but then told that it was 'unlikely' that I would be observed again. The observed lesson didn't go brilliantly, so to be honest and I think they chose not to observe me again because they realised that they were so short of time (2 day inspection) that they'd rather focus on the class teachers to get a truer picture of what happens in school.
    Personally I was pleased and took it that the inspection team were appreciative of my situation!!

8. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Your headteacher will have recognised exactly the issues which you raised in your previous post, and will have explained this to the lead inspector, who has agreed to miss you out.

This is quite normal practice, although of course the inspector has the right to turn it down. We have made similar requests, albeit in different circumstances, and these were accepted on 2/3 occasions.

Remember that the inspection team is there to judge the school as a whole, and not on your individual performance as a teacher. Seeing a lesson where a teacher is experiencing a one-off set of difficulties is unlikely to help the inspectors come to a whole school judgement, unless perhaps it is an extremely small primary school where one individual makes up a large % of the teaching.

9. Yes, absolutely. At the risk of winding up el presidente again, a sensitive lead inspector will ask the head as part of his/her phone call checklist if there are any vulnerable staff who he would advise not to visit.

10. RKM

RKM

I think your head did you a favour.
    If it were my Head they wouldnt say anything and let us fall on our face.
    At our place 2 people left. 1 on maternity and one just didnt want to be there, so handed in their notice. The Head didnt even acknowledge the fact that they were leaving, still to day this day the person on maternity hasnt recieved acknowledgement to the letter informing the head about her potential maternity.
    For an employer to treat their staff like that I find that rude. We have a head who doesnt give a toss about their workforce.

11. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Dont worry about winding up Mr Angry, he can take it I'm sure. An inspector who is not good could of course be satisfactory, which is fine by him

12. The thing to remember is that the purpose of the inspection is to validate (or otherwise) the school's own self evaluation. If the inspection team observes lessons and other aspects of the school and agrees with the school's own judgements of its strengths and weaknesses there would be no advantage in creating unnecessary stress by observing people who have been on leave/ maternity/ sickness etc. I would be inclined to treat the view of your SLT as good management. If the inspection team feels they need to see you for some reason to test the school's own judgements, they will.
    And to RKM, my sympathies. I worked for a Head like that once, it is demoralising to say the least. If its any help, the bullying Head I worked for was eventually 'pushed' after the school went into special measures with leadership as the main issue. (this was a long time ago- nobody wept for him)