1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted- inspection of subject area

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by MrLord, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Apparently Ofsted is visiting our History department for two days next week. I have never heard of this before. We are not a failing school and I have only heard of HMI visiting if there have been complaints. Anyone know if this is a new thing?

Thanks

2. Apparently Ofsted is visiting our History department for two days next week. I have never heard of this before. We are not a failing school and I have only heard of HMI visiting if there have been complaints. Anyone know if this is a new thing?

Thanks

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sometimes they "pop in" to schools to look at one particular area. Although it is not a formal inspection, it can be nerve wracking. They may even want to observe good practice.
    P

4. We were 'Good with Outstanding Features' in Sept 2008 and then got a subject inspection in Jan 2010, so before they were 'due' back.
    And now they're due again of course!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

We have had them in for subject inspection twice in the last 5 years - RE and PSHE

6. mpc

mpc

Just agreeing with others, really.
    No, it's not a new thing. Our Science Dept was 'done' two or three years ago.

7. These "Survey" visits are used to gather information relating to specific subjects, which eventually goes into the HMI subject report.
    If you go to this link, you can download a spreadsheet with the names of schools which have been judged to be outstanding in each subject.
    http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/schools-judged-outstanding-particular-subject
    You can then search the Ofsted site for the relevant inspection report for a school. (which will be called a survey) - you'll be able to see what kinds of things they comment on.
    Just a note - on some schools the report was labelled as C&D, but it was actually history. Ofsted typos ;-)