1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED inspection and the English results!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by nowandthen, Aug 29, 2012.

1. What will happen?
    Many schools will not have met 'targets'; will OFSTED inspect before the whole matter is resolved?
    Are there some schools that will be visited within the first few weeks of the new academic year?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, they will carry on inspecting regardless.
    Will they give any leeway? Who can say. Some will, some definitely won't.

3. I would have thought that schools that are inspected in the first few weeks of the new term would not receive a 'fair' inspection if they have been affected by the English results.
    Again I would have thought that only when the whole English matter has been resolved could the inspection be classed as 'fair'.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

5. TonyM19

TonyM19 Occasional commenter

It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has been 'done' this week. We were quite signifcantly impacted by the English grades and would like to know if you 'get your legs blown off' if you refer to it.

6. I understand that Ofsted has provided guidance to inspectors to take into account that any 2012 results are, at this stage, unvalidated. They are therefore expected to be considered with caution. Schools with a one-year dip are less likely to be in difficulties than schools where there is a history of underperformance in English.

7. akz

akz New commenter

They may have been given guidance on what they could or couldn't say but a one year dip is exactly what led us to our school and exactly what the entire inspection focused on this. Hammer us they did. One of the most improved schools with stable and improving English results and they came in guns blazing.
    I'm sorry to say be afraid, be very afraid if inspected and in this situation.

8. It will depend on what their preconceived agenda is, especially if it is academy.

9. I a afraid any faith in ofted's objectivity is entirely naive. They go in with a viewabout a school that is politically motivated and look for evidence to support it. They are a politicalorganisation and have been since their inception.