1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted in and observing outdoors planting tomorrow

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minilady, Jan 11, 2012.

1. in light of above visitors would you insist that children keep their gardening gloves on
    a couple of mine prefer to 'garden' without gloves - we're working in compost filled raised beds
    just wondered from the a H&S pont of view
    thanks

2. in light of above visitors would you insist that children keep their gardening gloves on
    a couple of mine prefer to 'garden' without gloves - we're working in compost filled raised beds
    just wondered from the a H&S pont of view
    thanks

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I dont think it matters. However it may be prudent to make it clear that you have done a safety check for cat poo. Also make a good play of emphasising the need to wash hands and why after. If with spiky plants insist on gloves again emphasising safety, even better if you get the children to tell you why. We have a mud kitchen and the children dont wear gloves, some even make mud hand prints with the slop dosh.

4. We have a bowl and soap and walm water and towel outside and encourage children to wash hands if get dirty - also saves them treading muddy wellys through classoom!
    Marymoocow your mud kitchen sounds great - can you tell me alittle more on what it looks like? My lovely T.A wants to build a digging pit. Do children wear all in 1s?
    Thanks xx

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have a digging pit, but as we dont have outdoor clothing yet, the kids were just getting filthy and in our deprived area the kids dont come suitably dressed at the best of times. Also a local cat started pooing in it during the summer. We went on a course that showed a few different mud kitchens. We have ours on a table at the moment and have water troughs, pots and pans, baking trays, cake tins, wooden spoons, flower pots, twigs, pine cone, other natural material spades etc. We are eventually going to have a raised bed for digging. That way kids without wellies can still play. They do get filthy though. The bowl of soapy water is a good idea as our kids traips mud into the classroom to wash hands or wash them in the water tray when we are not looking, spoiling the water. I dont think it matters how you provide the mud or set it up, it is more the resources you put in to make the mud pies etc.

6. Oh sounds lovely - just what my would love! Do the children just collect the mud themselves or do you have a bowl of it?
    Hadn't thought of cats - if there anything like mine they's think it was build just for that purpose!! My cat has no shame! Raised and cover are key.
    Thanks xx