1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted in a nursery setting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by klavender85, Aug 26, 2019.

1. klavender85

klavender85 New commenter

I work in a day nursery, and there are rumours about a potential Ofsted visit sometime soon. I used to work in a nursery and reception class in state schools, so I know how Ofsted was there. What does an Ofsted visit in a day nursery look like? There seems to be so much more to look at, with having children from the age of 6 months. Do they focus on the staff and children more? Or is it about paperwork? Everyone seems so stressed, but I dont know if they even know what they are looking for! :eek:

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

First of all, you have no way of knowing when you will be inspected unless there has been a complaint or issue raised. Every setting should be inspected once in every cycle, the current cycle runs until July 2020 so if you haven't been inspected since 2016, then yes you will get a visit at some point in the next year.

The inspections are very different, with a bigger focus on safeguarding and statutory duties, as well as learning and teaching.
    There is a new framework that begins in September. You should really have the inspection handbook in your nursery, but if not, then get it from the link. It outlines what happens at inspection and what the grade descriptors are. Unless you are all new staff, surely someone has been through the process before?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-inspection-handbook-eif

Oh and if you are a new setting, you will be inspected within 30 months of opening.

3. klavender85

klavender85 New commenter

Oh wow! Thanks so much for this information!! It makes me feel a bit better now.
    Oh why do people love to cause so much un-needed stress in an already stressful environment?!?! I thought it was bad enough in state schools! :confused:

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I agree completely with @grumbleweed . There is no comparison between a school Ofsted and a private nursery Ofsted. I used to work supporting private nurseries and at the time the focus was far more on safeguarding and statutory duties. Things that a school might get told they need to update could cause a private nursery to be labelled inadequate. I remember supporting a nursery with outstanding teaching. It was a delight to be in but they only got good at Ofsted because they hadn't displayed their most recent fire safety certificate. It was in the office but not on display.