1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED - how many days?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Mermaid7, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Can anyone tell me how many days am OFSTED inspection in a FE setting is? Thanks in advance.

2. Babbit_Resources

Babbit_Resources New commenter

The college that I'm temping in has them in this week. 4 days -Tues to Friday. Call came Friday morning.

3. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Could well be the same college!

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Usually the call comes on Friday. Everyone slogs all over the weekend. They arrive Monday and nosey round all sorts of data and rubbish. They hang around reception and check whether students are wearing lanyards. Staff have to make a big deal of lanyard checks. (This is in case a terrorist plans on blowing the college up. A lanyard check will deter the terrorist). Drug checks are also a good idea. Inspectors will often take lunch in the cafeteria in order to check general student behavior.
    Tuesday - Thursday observations. Friday - they will only observe if they are not satisfied about something. They will spend the day with SLT gong over stuff and asking questions.
    Something else that I don't miss.

6. Babbit has it .. Saluki wildly out.

7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Er… We both said the call comes Friday. We both said they were there Tues - Fri doing obs. As Babbit is only on supply they probably don't know what Ofsted and SLT are up to on Mondays.
    Or maybe as my old college was Huge they spent longer with us than at a smaller college.

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

p.s They really did make an enormous fuss about lanyards

codface575757 likes this.
  9. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Well almost. But they arrive on a Tuesday in almost all cases and stay till Friday for a full inspection. Lanyards.... if it’s college policy that all students and staff wear lanyards, and they don’t wear them its reasonable to ask why not. Many have different coloured lanyards for, say under 18s or apprentices and this makes sense. There is nothing on lanyards in the inspection framework.

10. alfie234

alfie234 New commenter

We have just had an inspection after Feb half term. I work in a sixth form college. The call arrived on Monday and the inspection lasted 3 days from Wed to Friday. They left a provisional grade on all four areas and overall effectiveness, confidential until the report is published, in about 3 weeks.