1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED Help! year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seekingstars, Jan 20, 2012.

1. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Have just found out OFSTED are in on Tuesday/Weds.
    Anyone got any inspiration for Giant's Necklace lessons showing clear progression and in maths I am torn between angles or area....any suggestions welcome!

2. seekingstars

Have just found out OFSTED are in on Tuesday/Weds.
    Anyone got any inspiration for Giant's Necklace lessons showing clear progression and in maths I am torn between angles or area....any suggestions welcome!

3. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Area is probably easier if you want clear differentiation (some on grids (la) some not on grids using rectangles (ma) and some finding the area of triangles (ha).
    Angles does have a lot of resources for the IWB and can really challenge the HA in your class. It can also be very kinesthetic (children standing up and physically turning 90 degrees clockwise demonstrates that and angles is a turn on a vertex).

4. seekingstars

Thanks..anyone else got any ideas?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

6. I was observed by Ofsted two years ago in year 6, doing an angles lesson. I had a piece of sugar paper on the tables with three lines around the edges (one in front of each pair of children) and cotton attached to each end of the line. In the middle of the paper, there were small pictures next to a dot. The task was to measure the angles between the line drawn and the pictures using the cotton to make the angles. Extension was to use the two pieces of cotton and make a triangle, how could they work out the third angle, as two cotton edges aren't firm enough to measure accurately?
    It was noisy and chaotic as the children was all up leaning over the paper (3 pairs to each sugar paper) but ofsted loved the discussions and the questioning and the problem solving. Pupils then had independent work to do in their books.

7. seekingstars

Sounds fantastic...did they measure the angle with a protractor to start with? I am trying to visualise how it works..were the pictures so far apart?

8. If you let me know your email, I can forward you the lesson plan and a drawing of it, if that helps.

9. skills324

skills324 New commenter

EEyore03- that resource sounds really good. Is it on here?

10. seekingstars

Have now sorted maths, decided on angles because that's what the children need to do!!!! have come up with my own version of your angle idea because it sounded fab!

Anyone got any ideas for Giants necklace?
    I can easily do lots and lots of reading skills but could really do with showing writing and differentiation off...any ideas welcome.
    I only have Monday to set the class up ready for their star lessons on Tuesday and Wednesday.

11. No, the resource isn't uploaded, but will try and sort it to up load soon.

12. seekingstars

Anyone else?

13. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We've just done personification poems of the sea, imagining they are watching the family on the beach and then focussing in on Cherry as the storm grows and she realises she's trapped. Differentiation was me taking a group who are either still not secure on giving me punctuation to mark sentences and some EAL children who struggle with the correct tense (we wrote the poems as present tense). Level 5 writers were thinking not just about verbs like 'watching' but giving the sea "fingers" and thinking about its "breathing" etc.
    Just an idea. Good luck with Ofsted!

14. Any chance you could also forward me the angles lesson? sounds brilliant and we have ofsted looming after Easter :( Thanks in advance
    kingchinna@hotmail.com