1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted grading system

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by zero, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I have recently had an observation from an SMT and was told everything was good but I got an unsatisfactory because the majority of pupils did not make enough progress. He says he is using Ofsted criteria and that the state progress for a satisfactory is that 80-96% of students make significant progress. I cannot find these figures anywhere. Anyway I said that all students achieved my first two objectives and some achieved the third while some struggled with it due to the ability. I believe it should be satisfactory as according to this document page 8

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/3856.pdf

Satisfactory
    (3)
    Progress is inadequate in no major respect, and may be good
    in some respects, as reflected in contextual value added
    measures.

Any advice appreciated. What is the Ofsted definition of progress?

Thanks

Zero

2. I have recently had an observation from an SMT and was told everything was good but I got an unsatisfactory because the majority of pupils did not make enough progress. He says he is using Ofsted criteria and that the state progress for a satisfactory is that 80-96% of students make significant progress. I cannot find these figures anywhere. Anyway I said that all students achieved my first two objectives and some achieved the third while some struggled with it due to the ability. I believe it should be satisfactory as according to this document page 8

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/3856.pdf

Satisfactory
    (3)
    Progress is inadequate in no major respect, and may be good
    in some respects, as reflected in contextual value added
    measures.

Any advice appreciated. What is the Ofsted definition of progress?

Thanks

Zero

3. I can find nothing in any schedule or guidance published by Ofsted that quotes such (or any other) percentages. I think your SMT member is making it up. Challenge him / her to produce the document where this is stated.
    Further, if "everything was good" how can you get an unsatisfactory grade?

4. if you look at teh observation form then you have to prove that teh majority of your class ave made progress. Think if inadequate then it is a significent number not making progress. Unfortunately you could say that smt were correct as that is the main thing that OFSTED will be looking for that is progress in their learning. I have hear these figures but casn not remeber where I saw them or resd them. Earlier this year I had a similar obs where I was a good teacher etc etc but becuase the chidlren had allegedly not made the progress it took it right down. I wa stold teh best teacher in teh world can be teaching teh wrong thing and therefore they would get an inadequate i.e good do a all singing lesson on physics to a reception class but would faila s not appropriate tec. Hard I know but there you go. recently had an obs where all was outstanding but because a very small amount of chidlren were cutting out pictures it was deemed good as it could have been argued that they were time filling, I argued though and said that they were ordering tehm so tehy hd to cut tehm out. Felt it was picky

5. The figures are quoted from the ofsted annual report 2005/6 page 89 http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/Internet_Content/Shared_C...

at the end of it there is a table with them. However the paragraph above it states they are referencing to these precsntages in the context of the report and for large group sizes.

Thanks

Zero

6. Thinking about it what we really should be looking at is the definition of progress in an ofsted context. Anyone any thoughts on this.

Zero

7. Ofsted criteria say (rightly I now think, after 16 months in Special Measures) that, regardless of any other aspects of the lesson, if progress is unsatisfactory then the lesson is unsatisfactory. This raises some very uncomfortable truths - you can have the most exquisitely planned and executed lesson but if the students don't engage and make progress then it's still unsatisfactory.

We all know this as classroom teachers - those lessons where you could have done nothing more to make it work but somehow it still doesn't. It'd be lovely if we could get a 1 or a 2 because the plan was good even if it didn't work but...well if it doesn't work...

That said the percentage thing is definitely "made up" but it's not a bad rule of thumb - a big majority need to make demonstrable (sp?) progress for the lesson to have been satisfactory. Agree that's tough but is it unfair???

8. I dont disagree that progress has to be made. That is our job as teachers however if all students achieve the first 2 learning outcomes in a plan and some achieve the third is that not progress for the majority given their individual starting points and abilities.

Zero

9. Depends on the objectives. If they are well written and suitably differentiated then some will only get the first, at least some should be getting ALL of them and most will only get some. If badly written? What if my first objective is "Have copied out the first paragraph on page 73" and the second is "Know what a River is"? Progress (sadly) can't necessarily be based on what a teacher says the objectives are (not suggesting for a second that YOUR objectives were anything like that - just a general point).