1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted Grading Satisfactory with Good features

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by oscarsmummy, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Dear James,

I had my exit appraisal for my PGCE final placement yesterday with my Mentor and Link tutor. I was given an ofsted grade of satisfactory with good features. I am bitterly disapointed with this grade as my assessments have been mainly good with some satisfactory eliments. I told my link tutor I was disapointed - I think she could tell by my face I was shocked and she said its just a word and she would be happy for her child to be in my class. I am very upset at satisfactory sounds very - below par - is it as bad as I think?
    Thanks
    Oscars Mummy

2. Dear James,

I had my exit appraisal for my PGCE final placement yesterday with my Mentor and Link tutor. I was given an ofsted grade of satisfactory with good features. I am bitterly disapointed with this grade as my assessments have been mainly good with some satisfactory eliments. I told my link tutor I was disapointed - I think she could tell by my face I was shocked and she said its just a word and she would be happy for her child to be in my class. I am very upset at satisfactory sounds very - below par - is it as bad as I think?
    Thanks
    Oscars Mummy

3. By all means be a little disappointed, but don't get hung up on it. At some point in your training I presume you will have come across the idea of judging any assessment by (amongst other measures) validity and reliability. How valid and reliable do you think the Ofsted gradings are? They're pretty valid if the intended outcome of the assessment is to measure against a finite list of objectives, and will be reliable if all people apply them consistently. However, how valid (especially if you understand what I mean by unitary validity) are those objectives against the somewhat esoteric aim of "being a good teacher"? Do you really think that those 40 or so standards (including the sub-sections) are able to encapsulate you and what you do?
    I accept the need to jump through hoops when necessary, but ultimately I don't need to see a whole load of ticked boxes to know whether I'm doing a good job or not.
    You've passed. Be happy!

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I would forget it. You passed, that's what matters!
    Once you've been teaching even for a term or two, you will feel like such a different teacher and will find you have observations which are good and observations which are satisfactory - but as long as you are being reflective and using AfL and planning engaging lessons, this is what matters. Yo.u have plenty of time to improve your teaching and will have more observations in your professional life that you will care for and lots of those will be judged as better than satisfactory
    Probably no-one will ask you your PGCE grading. I'm not even sure if I was given a grade; I certainly didn't have to tell my current HT what I got!
    Celebrate your passing!

5. This makes good sense, you are absolutely right - thanks

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Well done on passing. Satisfactory with good features means this time next year you'll be good with outstanding I expect so feel pleased!
    Your Ofsted grade isn't put on your references to employers according to my TP

7. Do not be disappointed. Think how far you have come in just 36 weeks from zero to QTS that is quite an achievement. Also remember that the gradings for trainees are not the same as OFSTED gradings - so if they are saying you are OFSTED satisfactorywith some good, then in trainee terms that would be similar to good. It is confusing I know - but in many PGCEs there are pen portraits for trainees not qualified teachers.
    You have passed and yhou will improve. I say that it can take 4 -5 years to get fully experienced and on top of the game consistently.
    James