1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted failed to arrive

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by katie40, Sep 14, 2019.

1. katie40

katie40 New commenter

On Wednesday, just before midday, we had the call from Ofsted to say they would be inspecting on Thursday and would arrive at 8am.
    At 7.30am on Thursday, the inspector called to say she had a migraine and would be unable to attend. She said it was too late to find a replacement inspector and that she would come on Friday instead, at 8am.
    At 9am on Friday, when she still had not arrived, we rang Ofsted. They were unable to tell us where the inspector was and advised us to wait until midday. We were not satisfied with that response and asked for a call back by 9.30am. They did call back, to tell us that the inspector had emailed the office at 3pm on Thursday to say that for personal reasons she would be unable to conduct the inspection on Friday. They had failed to see that email because 'they were on training' and had obviously failed to read the email on Friday morning, despite the office opening at 8am. We were told that they would not send a replacement inspector on Friday as that would be unfair to us because the inspector would not have time to prepare.
    What are your views on this?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

This happened to us around 5 years ago, twice. After the first 24 hour warning phone call, they cancelled the net day, and we heard nothing at all for another 6 months. Then they rang again, told us they would come in the next day, but didn't. Then they arrived the day after.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Illness happens. No one's fault. Right decision not to send an unprepared substitute inspector. The inspection will take time to rearrange.
    If I were to lay a bet, I'd say you were unlikely to see inspectors before November: you might entertain the staffroom by running a sweepstake on the new date.

catbefriender and phlogiston like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Mmm...is it an example of poor Ofsted standards? Had a teacher done this a Supply would have been bought in. Interesting how Ofsted act when the tables are reversed.

It is an outdated organisation that needs to go.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Not sure there is such a thing as a 'supply inspector'. The inspection process starts happening days before inspectors arrive at a school - I would doubt another lead inspector could be flown in at such short notice and get up to speed with data, policies etc. Imagine the number of appeals on Section 5 judgements if inspectors arrived knowing nothing about a school beforehand.

6. katie40

katie40 New commenter

I’ll update the outcome of this bizarre situation next Wednesday. Never, in my 30 years experience...

7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

That would send me round the bend, it’s stressful just reading your opening post.

8. install

install Star commenter

Exactly. There isn't - and that is the point. There should be. Imagine if heads said ''I have a migraine'. Its a case of - do what I say not as I do with Ofsted.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

That would mean that each Ofsted team would need to employ an extra inspector just in case the team lost one at the last minute. Supply inspector would need to do all the preparatory work and then not go to the school - unless there was a problem. Might be possible for the team as a whole, but you'd also need a spare lead inspector - HMI. That would be a bigger challenge.
    Ofsted managers would have to make judgements about how many people to keep in reserve - and this would either involve extra cost, or fewer inspections.

install likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Exactly ...Ofsted need to be more professional rather than letting schools down with illness.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

So - what are you advocating? Spend more on inspectors who (usually) won't be called upon? Or spread existing inspectors more, so that some are in reserve and inspections are less frequent (as well as now inspecting the Outstanding schools which have been left to their own devices?

12. install

install Star commenter

You miss the point.

I agree Ofsted is failing schools on many levels. But schools shouldn't have to solve the failings of Ofsted and their weak systems. Do you not think Ofsted failed miserably according to the first post? Do you not accept it is a poor way to act?

13. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I'd agree that in this instance there was muddle and so on at Ofsted offices. I think that postponing by 24h was potentially a viable solution, but it proved impossible.
    I accept that there's a need to consider what happens if an inspector falls ill/gets run over by a bus/whatever; presumably this happens so rarely that they haven't put in place a potentially expensive safety net. That's a matter of judgement by Ofsted schedulers.