1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TGB2010, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TGB2010

TGB2010 New commenter

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a different ofsted criteria for EYFS. I have recently had an observation carried out by SMT (pre Ofsted) and was told I was judged the same as all other classes in the school. As all children didn't show progression ( in his opinion) I couldn't get good. Is this correct?

2. TGB2010

TGB2010 New commenter

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a different ofsted criteria for EYFS. I have recently had an observation carried out by SMT (pre Ofsted) and was told I was judged the same as all other classes in the school. As all children didn't show progression ( in his opinion) I couldn't get good. Is this correct?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Progression during the lesson? All children?

4. TGB2010

TGB2010 New commenter

He said as not all children showed progression, I couldn't be graded as a good.

5. This does seem to be an increasingly common criticism of FS classes/teaching and has featured in at least one other thread on this forum.
    I think there are quite a few of us starting to be concerned about this apparent need for our youngest children to show progress in an observed lesson, without any consideration for the nature of their learning or the nature of good early years practice.
    Goal posts have moved again.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Agree. Grading a lesson in this way contradicts how we do our own assessments of the children.

7. We recently (30th Jan) had OFSTED. All of our teachers prior to this (across FS, KS1 and KS2) were all graded as good with outstanding or oustanding. Myself being graded by 3 different people in my last 3 lessons as outstanding - yet the teaching in our school (mine included) has been graded as satisfactory *shudder* The OFSTED inspector told me that he couldn't tell if all the chidlren made good progress in my lesson (I teach Nursery). Which annoyed me when he only watched about 2 minutes on the carpet because he was late and I had been told to start even if he wasn't there!! How do they know that the chidlren haven't made progress when he didn't know what they knew before?? Too many people are OFSTED inspectors, inspecting in FS with absolutely NO idea about how we function what-so-ever!! It makes me so cross that these people (without any experience in FS) can make a snap judgement on the children.

Rant over

8. What worries me here isn't my grading as a teacher, but that the inspectors obviously have no idea how young children learn....experiencing things for themselves and being creative and active learners! Surely it should be a pre-requisite to know how very young children learn. That's not to say that every child in a reception class learns in the same way; we should be treating the children as individuals, and the inspectors should be able to see each child's progress over a long period of time, not just one lesson. (Isn't this why we spend hours putting together the children's 'learning journeys'?)

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

we were inspected first week back after christmas holiday( cold with 60 mile an hour winds) and the inspector watched playtime from a classroom window and couldn't come outside in my reception area (which he criticised ) as he had 'left his coat in the car'!

10. Just to add to the OFSTED moaning...I am newly qualified and I am in a single form school so the only Early Years Teacher! We had OFSTED back in September 2011 and I did manage to get 2's but that was because my head teacher fought my corner!

They did two 40 minute observations and their only comment one of them could give me when I asked for feedback was "The children did tend to call out" (this was referring to a phonics session) baring in mind that the children had only been in school for less than 4weeks and I have a full class of 30. The people they send in just have no clue how early years works/ is set up. They then observed a session I did over at the farm (we are lucky enough to have a forest/farm attached to our school). I had pre warned them of this and said they would need suitable shoes... they didn't have suitable shoes and also left before the end of the "lesson" as it took them "too long" to get to the farm!

Fulloffon- Them not bringing a coat just shows they don't understand early years!!

11. This happened to me and I so badly lost my confidence that I ended up enduring informal capability procedures, and I have now resigned from my much loved teaching role after 16 years.

12. sorry to poor oil onto troubled waters but just had an ofsted and it does happen. all obs were good but only got satisfactory because in a ten minute teaching of phonics in whole group not all the children were writing something down just participating in magnetic letters on board. also 2 children went about the follow up activity in the wrong order and i should have stopped them taken the work away and made them do it again. The group I was working with were writing sentences with a good 90% of words spelt correctly words included phomemes from phase 5 but they still wanted more. Forget early years advice sit in rows chanting and writing all day. The letter to the children said " we have asked your teachers to make the work harder for you " They had already quoted the children were motivated and loved school not any more I think.

13. RLFF

RLFF New commenter

Can I ask how you show progression in a lesson?

14. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

They want to see all children progressing during continuous provision as well as the teacher input. I think this is impossible to see every child make progress during an observation.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had a staff meeting today with an advisor who showed us the new OFSTED guidelines (January) which state that it is no longer necessary to see this in every lesson.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Taken from School Inspection Handbook (for OFSTED inspectors

125. Not all aspects of learning, for example pupils? engagement, interest, concentration, determination, resilience and independence, may be seen in a single observation.

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Sadly these are exactly the sorts of things I would want to see in every observation.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, because they are observable, up to a point. Progress, though, is something that, sometimes only manifests itself months afterwards!