1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted...........Do not be afraid.........................

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Dressmate, Jan 28, 2012.

1. [​IMG]Just had to say we had Ofsted the second week of term. One of the first schools inspected using the new Ofsted framework. The team who came to the school were fantastic and really made you feel at ease. I did nothing different in my lessons. (My year 11 students who i was teaching when I was observed commented on this). I found the whole experience very very positive. (have been through two other Ofsteds and neither were really a problem) I was part of the group of staff interviewed as a middle leaders and as I am a teacher governor was also on the panel of governors who spoke to the lead inspector.
    Our school was judged OUTSTANDING in every category. We are a mixed ability comprehensive which recently became an academy. We do not select pupils and have a very wide range of abilities. Our results at GCSE are Good (85%+ on average).
    I am very proud to be a member of staff at the school and to know that our amazing D and T results contributed to the grading which the school received. [​IMG]

2. Congrats
    Just wanted to ask you a couple of question regarding DT and the new Ofsted framework, if you don't mind.
    As a DT teacher how do you show that 95% of your student have made progress? We have 2 hrs lesson and feel that in a 20 mins observation it would be difficult to show that much progess with so many pupils.
    Thanks

3. I am assuming you do a considerable amount of practical work in a 2hr lesson - which ever year group you are teaching.
    I think the progress can be seen by the level of independent work that students are undertaking.
    If you have explained and demonstrated a stage at the beginning of the lesson then the students are working independently to complete that or other sections of a piece of project work then they will be seen to be making good or outstanding progress. If they are messing around because they don't want to do it, or didn't listen or your explanation wasn't clear then they will not show progress. For a 2hr lesson with most year groups I would chunk up the lesson - have short sharp demos, let them get on, when a few students are ready to do the next stage stop the whole class and show them the next stage. Also let the ones who are ahead be the teachers - our school love that, it shows a real extension to learning and its a skill. I often get the students who have worked a bit faster to show the next few or be the teacher (students love it as well and it is such good reinforcement). learning objectives can explain this easily.
    I was observed on the second half of a GCSE yr 11 double lesson. I had targets (objectives) for each student as well as a whole class objective which was very general. The inspector stayed for about 20mins. He talked to me quite a lot and commented that the subject had outstanding results. He also talked to quite a few students. I had done a great lesson on quality at the beginning of the lesson (which the head actually wandered into to ask for a clothes brush!!! and ended up staying and listening to). I wasn't actually teaching though - the students were doing the teaching on 'quality' themselves through discussion about past projects and grading the quality of them. The inspector saw none of this- he did see my lesson plan though and I pointed out that we had done this. He saw students working with a very high level of focus and independence. (not one asked me what to do!) He also saw them checking the quality of their work and then some double checking it with me in relation to what we had done at the beginning of the lesson. He saw some get elated at their own progress of finishing a part of their work and then move onto the next part.
    I see that as progress in knowledge of what constitutes high quality work and in the their individual progress on their own work.
    Progress as i see it is more than just 'have I got to the next level?' although it is very important for students to have personal targets and levels/target grades available and be able to explain how they can improve their work. But that you have to do as an ongoing thing so they are used to it.

4. Cheers Thanks guys.

5. Hi I know this is an old post so you might not respond but......

What questions were you asked in the interviews?

Congratulation BTW