1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted declares no more tracking, especially data tracking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Tracking causes workload issues

1. Yes agree

2. No, I’m a senior manager and feel that it is absolutely fine

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Well, it says it 'does not expect you to do it'. Give it three years. What will it look like in school?

688CAAEB-DFB2-49E4-9B4B-422818060BE2.jpeg

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your thread title "Ofsted declares no more tracking..." is a rather optimistic reading of Ofsted's "clarification" I think. As you say, it only says Ofsted has "...no expectation about how..." assessment is done and that "...numerical data..." is not required. It doesn't say schools shouldn't track with numerical data. They won't be marked down if they don't use numerical data and they won't be marked down if they do.

The requirement for schools to assess progress remains of course so schools will need to assess and record it somehow.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

What about secondary and FE?

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

'Progress' as a concept is being undermined on a range of levels. And Gibb doesn’t mind. It fits his text books for sale with scripted lessons and topic tests for weak teachers model.

The way I see it is this is a push on the tiller of the tanker ofsted. It will take three years, but trust me, tracking as we see it is going. What will replace it is non comparable topic test outcomes. So we will know what they know, but we won’t try to make arbitrary and tenuous links between the data in the name of progress. They will either know their topic or they won’t.

What is going is the conversion of qualitative data and topic test outcomes into quantitative and comparable data. E.g. schools trying to convert small tests into a GCSE score.

5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Any primary school that claims to be as precise in assessment and tracking of geography, history, music etc as they are in reading, writing and mathematics is a crazy fool. Not possible to track and assess a subject which is taught for an hour a week maybe for half the year compared to an hour every day for the whole year.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends what the individual inspectors do. We had a problem before (was it with complex marking?) with ofsted hq saying one thing, but inspections carrying on as before.

7. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Agreed, remember when OFSTED said online work was fine, butchief inspector declared that she woud only accept printed out evidence.

slingshotsally and agathamorse like this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No more tracking, especially data tracking.

I've worked in some data driven schools recently but, what else do they track?

agathamorse likes this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Established commenter

Attendance... although I'm fairly certain we'll still have to track this.

10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Have you got a link for this? I would be very interested to read it.

11. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

No, but this is what she said during initial meeting with staff.

12. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I can think of at least one SLT member who would not know WHAT the HECK to do with themselves if they weren’t spending most of the time asking for numerical data to be input, harassing people who are ten seconds late inputting it, hounding people whose data does not come up to national expectations, hassling people whose does...why aren’t they ‘exceeding’ etc...etc....etc.....

They must be quaking in their boots, seeing your thread title! What a shame! :D

13. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Oh I think it will save schools millions. Work load, software, senior leaders - but I am still of the opinion it will take three years. Some senior CEO in a MAT will work out how they can save oodles of money with this ruling and still get a decent ofsted. They will then PixL the strategy around and consultants will charge a fortune to show how to remove this from systems and replace it with simple topic tests which just report the scores in original data format rather than as a comparable proxy.

14. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Likewise any secondary school. The secondary school music teacher sees each class generally for 1 hour a week, while English, Maths teachers see classes most days. And yet, most SLT expect music / art / DT teachers to provide the same quantity of precise data on progress for each of their students (often these teachers teach several hundred students) as the English / Maths teachers. As you say, a crazy fool.

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

The question you should ask is: does the providing of that data lead to any extra learning? Note, not the original data, but the providing of it for tracking software. Any teacher can tell you which kids are not making the best progress and what they are doing. We often administer topic assessments, this is normal. We make a note of them. We have a good sense of who is doing well and who isn’t. That is how we did it for 100 years. Now we spend hundreds of millions in hours and work load converting that data into proxies, hiring an extra SLT to analyse it, produce more and more data to be converted (half termly data drops?) and I ask the question.

How much extra learning is all that hundreds of millions actually generating?

Yes, that’s what I thought. You could wipe it all out and spend 10% of the money in a different way and have more impact with that 10% than the 100%.

16. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

At least they aren’t demanding statistical tests be carried out on the data yet

17. install

install Star commenter

I suspect that many schools have tracking, reporting and prediction systems - regardless. Ofsted spin, in house school data systems and School League Tables need to go:(

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    fionamorristes and agathamorse like this.
  18. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Absolutely. Yet our professional judgement and experienced insight is not trusted. We could tell anyone who wants to know a great deal about the individuals we teach and how they are doing in our subject/s, but no-one thinks the teacher’s view matters - because the only thing which matters, of course, is assessment-generated data.

emerald52 and agathamorse like this.