1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED criticise off-rolling and poor special needs provision

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Dec 4, 2018.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-nearly-10k-rolled-pupils-disappearing-school-system

Anyone else here spot the irony? For the last few years, schools have had high exam results as the focus. Those with large numbers of children with learning difficulties have struggled to meet the targets. One consequence has been schools trying to remove these children before their exams results come out.
    Lose if you keep them, lose if you don't!

drek, Sir_Henry and Scintillant like this.
  2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I fought and fought for my SEND department to get the money to which it was entitled. It made me no friends and ultimately ended my time at that school.

It’s scandalous that Spielman and Ofsted are saying this now, when they have focused for so long on exam results, that SEND children will not achieve. The successes of the children we supported are not measured in exam grades. They’re measured in completing secondary education, staying in school, developing relationships.

Sir_Henry and phlogiston like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Arrr... Ofsted 'blowing with the wind' it seems. How many teachers have been 'off rolled' in the name of Ofsted and how many teachers have been forced or felt obliged to leave ? The irony is overwhelming it seems ...as is the seeming 'do as I say, not as I do' approach.

Time for Ofsted and League Tables to go :cool:

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Absolutely right.

install and phlogiston like this.
  5. slick

slick New commenter

As a school, we almost never exclude and try our best by every student. As a consequence, we are hit in the league tables for the students that achieve 'very little' in terms of GCSE results, BUT remain in education/ work experience/ creative pathways that keep them engaged BUT do not give them 8 GCSEs to count for the school.
    If we excluded the students in KS3, we would not carry their results, nor would we carry their attendance, exclusions... the system is not set up to support working with all students.... it just impacts negatively on those schools that do not play the system.