1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted criteria for outstanding lessons in FS and KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 25, 2009.

1. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi everyone,
    We are due an Ofsted this year, and was wondering if there is such a set of criteria?? I'm fairly new to management in Key Stage 1, and would like to make sure my team is fully prepared for this ...
    Thanks in advance! :)
    ps any advice for new management in Early Years, KS1 and subject leadership also very much appreciated!!! Arghh - I'm scared!!
    </td></tr></table>

2. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi everyone,
    We are due an Ofsted this year, and was wondering if there is such a set of criteria?? I'm fairly new to management in Key Stage 1, and would like to make sure my team is fully prepared for this ...
    Thanks in advance! :)
    ps any advice for new management in Early Years, KS1 and subject leadership also very much appreciated!!! Arghh - I'm scared!!
    </td></tr></table>

3. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

My understanding that for any lesson to be judged as outstanding then it has to use highly imaginative teaching techinques, have pupils engrossed (rather than engaged for good) and show pupils making better progress than might have been expected.
    The following article is quite an interesting read even if the examples are for older children http://www.sfe.co.uk/products/other/Best_Practice_PE.pdf

Good luck!

4. Thanks for your post, that certainly makes sense!!

5. Just what I was looking for!!!
    Out of interest, where did this information come from??? Ofsted?? Your own experience??

6. It still amazes me that this is still going!
    I don't know where the grids came from other than my SMT presented them a few years ago now and they'd got them from someone at the LEA who got them from someone else...
    What I can say is that we have been using them for a while to help inform lesson observations. As a school we have agreed that not everything can be evidenced through one lesson and we also discuss the areas that we highlight after observations. We don't just hand down judgements from them.
    I have found them very useful, even just as a reminder of what I should be aiming for occasionally. They are not strictly Ofsted criteria (which are far less prescriptive) but they still point in the same sort of direction.
    If anyone can lay claim to these grids I would love to know where they came from.